Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Good morning, sir. My point those few years back, my point last evening was that presidents tend to use the powers they have. Whatever restraints they may place on themselves are more than likely a combination of situations and personality.

Indeed as long as legal I'd allow the system to work, those pesky checks & balances. For one reason or another when not in control the tendency of the Democrats is to try to 'ban' certain powers. Sometimes they are saved from themselves, like when they tried to end the filibuster rule in the Senate. If you'd had your druthers, you'd have taken this executive option away. My guess is we will see Obama using it quite frequently, as a way to get things he wants accomplished with little or no noise. Indeed it's as close to a line item veto as available.
    Unfortunately, Bush did not, and does not have the power to choose which laws or portions portions thereof he will choose to ignore or fail to enforce, which is exactly what he's done in his use of signing statements. He can only sign the bill or veto it in its entirety. The Supreme Court already ruled on this when it struck down a presidential line item veto as being an unconstitutional abridgment of the separation of powers. Oh, and that was the Senate Republicans that tried to end the filibuster rule in the Senate with the so called "nuclear option".

So long as signing statements and executive orders respect the Constitution and the Separation of Powers, I don't care who uses them. Bush stepped over the line, and has yet to be held accountable for it, not that he ever will at this late date in his presidency. But a lack of accountability has been a hallmark of his life and his presidency.
    Last edited by bullypulpit; 11-10-2008 at 03:40 PM.
    Fascism has come to America, wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. His name is Trump.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. - George Orwell...The New GOP motto.