what?

By KIMBERLY S. JOHNSON, AP Auto Writer Kimberly S. Johnson, Ap Auto Writer – 1 hr 43 mins ago
DETROIT – Opening Day came early for employees Tuesday at Jack Kain's Ford, Lincoln, Mercury dealership, when Ford Motor Co. announced a new program that would help buyers in the event of a job loss.

"When I read it to our sales people, you would have thought we just knocked a home run," said Jack Kain, a dealer in Versailles, Ky. "We've been waiting for this for a long time."

Weighed down by the lowest sales levels in 27 years and consumer confidence at historic lows, Ford and General Motors Corp. announced two programs that would cover buyers' monthly car payments in the event they lose their jobs. All automakers report sales figures for March on Wednesday, which are expected to be just as dismal as February, when companies sold about 688,909 cars.

"It really attacks one of the key challenges in the market right now, and that's confidence in the consumer's ability to make their car payment," said Tim Longnecker, automotive industry executive for Acxiom Automotive, a marketing consulting firm. "I think they're good programs and I think they will spur demand."

The announcements come a day after President Barack Obama said the government will back new car warranties issued by GM and Chrysler LLC, who have accepted federal assistance and are seeking more, to help boost consumer confidence about buying their vehicles.

read the rest here..
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090331/...d_car_payments