Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
????....sorry, but that's pretty lame....you acknowledge that blacks didn't have a "work around" and come up with a pretty shallow claim that women did....then try to call it a parallel with gays being legally able to enforce things like hospital visitation and inheritance (two of the biggest complaints advocates raise regarding marriage)....in truth, the only other two I have ever heard raised are health insurance benefits and taxes and unmarried couples living together equally get neither.........

/shrugs....you keep saying that, but that isn't the argument....the current debate is regarding marriage, not civil unions.......
As far as I (as in my personal opinion) believe, Marriage is for religion. I know government has marriages but I don't think they should. Marriage is a religious union by the various religions. What we need is to clarify what a government "marriage" is. Make a government "marriage" equal for both hetero and homo sexuals and be done with it.

What I don't agree with from the gay community and it's activists is trying to force religion to acknowledge their union as a "marriage." Again, semantics. Call it a government "marriage" if you want but clearly acknowledge that its by the government that recognizes your union and not the religion of your choosing.

That is my point with this whole mess that people seem to be missing. Gay couples that want to join through the government just like hetero couples should have equal rights. No more, no less. But they can't do it in a Religion's house of worship unless that religion lets them.