Kind of an ugly end to the story.

A Mississippi high school held a "fake prom" for a lesbian student and her date while most of her classmates celebrated at a secret location, reports say.

The Itawamba County School District initially cancelled the formal event after Constance McMillen requested permission to take her girlfriend to the dance and to wear a tuxedo.

But after an international uproar Itawamba Agricultural High School decided to allow the prom to take place and for Ms McMillen to take her date.

A Mississippi high school held a "fake prom" for a lesbian student and her date while most of her classmates celebrated at a secret location, reports say.

The Itawamba County School District initially cancelled the formal event after Constance McMillen requested permission to take her girlfriend to the dance and to wear a tuxedo.

But after an international uproar Itawamba Agricultural High School decided to allow the prom to take place and for Ms McMillen to take her date.

When the 18-year-old arrived at the prom on Friday night, she discovered that she was just one of seven people attending, with the majority of the students instead attending a dance organised by parents.

"They had two proms and I was only invited to one of them," McMillen told gay magazine The Advocate.

"The one that I went to had seven people there, and everyone went to the other one I wasn’t invited to

Ms McMillen said two of the students attending the prom had learning difficulties and "had the time of their lives".

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/103...esbian-student