OpenCongress SummaryWould require all states to allow out-of-state visitors to carry concealed firearms as long as the laws of the vistors' home states allow them to do so. http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h822/show# Do states have the right/authority to limit concealed carry of firearms? If this passages, it would seem to be an indication that they do not (after all, this bill doesn't simply mandate recognition of out-of-state permits, but would mean someone from Arizona could carry concealed in any state with no need for a permit). This would then seem to be a stepping stone to abolishing CCPs and state-mandated requirements for the acquirement of a special license to carry concealed (see this thread). So where do you stand on this battle between gunowners' rights and 'states' rights'?

I'd rather see an outright abolition of CCP requirements, myself, but I could be convinced to support this measure as a step toward that goal. If one accepts that a state has the right to require a CCP, however, then you could argue that this is a violation of state sovereignty.