Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
From the onset of DVR's they made it so that what you record isn't transferrable. Most shows/movies are copyrighted anyway, and aren't meant to be moved between multiple devices. Recording a show, watching it later, then deleting it is ok. But they designed these devices so that you can't record something, place it on your computer and then share with the world.

But yeah, if you have a "device failure" on your DVR, and had 60 hours of shows/movies recorded that you haven't watched yet, you're shit out of luck!
I just think that is bullshit. And yes, I had the dreaded device failure last year. Had 2 complete seasons of Highlander just gone. Now of course I can just download those episodes from Hulu.com anyway, so the protection is dumb.

And I don't even want to do anything illegal. I have a 3 TB network drive where I have stored a bunch of my movies and such and put the DVDs up, we can watch those from anywhere that is connected to our home network. Now obviously I COULD copy those files and share them, but I don't, and likewise I wouldn't do anything illegal with my DVR recordings, I'd just like to move them to my network drive. But can't b/c of idiots who DO do illegal things.