Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Since this has been a hot topic, I looked at the cafeteria as I was walking the minions to assembly. The cafeteria was pretty much packed. But a majority of the kids seem to be well-clothed, put-together ... definitely not what one would describe as needy or underfed.

It occurs to me that perhaps as I think has been pointed out, the fact of the program being there encourages parents to be lazy. They may pay for the breakfasts and pay full price, as opposed to those who get a discount or free breakfast/lunch but is it necessary? My kids would definitely qualify for discounted/free breakfast and/or lunch but I find it a point of responsibility that I/we provide for them. Our breakfasts and lunches may not be the fanciest but they are basically healthy (they even take a veggie in their lunch ) and I know what they are eating. Our boys make their own lunches under supervision, of course, so they eat it better and they take on some responsibility for themselves.

Why have kids if you're gonna have somebody else take care of them? Never understood that.
so you actually advocate just doing away with school provided lunches altogether, not just the "welfare meals?"

Not sure how I feel about that to be honest. While it is true that in an ideal world that isn't really a school's responsibility. I think we all can all agree that in today's world most families need the convenience of just giving the kid $10 for school provided lunches or whatever.

I blame feminists, if they wouldn't have made stay at home mom's feel like they weren't worthy, that would have prevented a lot of our social ills from happening.

And no, I'm NOT saying a woman's place is in the kitchen. I'm making a larger point. Some of you perhaps have read my thoughts on that elsewhere, but it's not really the subject of this thread, so I'll stop there. Suffice to say, I would probably be okay with NO school lunches.