The article cited here goes on at great length to detail how this boy was bullied and how depressed he was about it, how he had actually shown a willingness to suicide in the past. It details how his parents tried to address it with the bullies and their parents. Finally in the last paragraph, it states the real kicker-the boy's father died jumping off a building.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/ny...d-himself.html

I am bothered on so many levels by this. Certainly bullying is a hot button issue. But it has always existed in schools. While I deplore it, I see no possibility of it disappearing. I see another problem here. Why in the name of little green apples didn't this kids #$@%^& family get him some psychiatric help?? You can't change the bullies. You can change the way you react to them. But in this case the kid seems to have been clinically depressed and with a family history of same. I hate to sound callous but a family who ignored a gesture like a kid trying to stab himself with pencils, bears some responsibility for his eventual suicide. Loads of people get bullied in school. Very few of them opt out of life because of it.