Quote Originally Posted by mundame View Post
Are you saying that if there isn't an issue, then no problem, no war?

So....if there is no slavery, or people are fine with everyone giving up their guns, then there is no problem?

Well, I guess that's true --- if we didn't care that Japan bombed Pearl Harbor, then no war. (That's what the Japanese expected, in fact. That it would be a fait accompli and we'd leave the Pacific Ocean to them.)

So if Britain and France hadn't minded Hitler invading Poland Sept. 1, 1939, there'd have been no WWII?

Well, I guess that's true, but I don't quite see where it gets us. I mean --- there ARE issues, people do care about certain things. Some things that happen do seem to represent crucial national interests.

I guess Lincoln could just have let the South go --- that was certainly what Jefferson Davis hoped for! Or Britain could have just let Germany march through Belgium August 4, 1914 without joining the war and let Germany take France apart like it always does. That nearly happened, in fact: Churchill took exactly the right cabinet members to lunch that weekend and talked them into it.

I'm not sure what you are saying besides that people shouldn't have Issues and then there wouldn't be wars?
You were making sense...until you brought up Pearl Harbor. Japan attacked Pearl Harbor because we'd imposed an oil embargo, not because of slavery or secession. Interpreting what I said as people shouldn't have interests/ issues so there'd be no war-- thats asinine. If that was my point I'd just post a music video of Imagine. I was trying to explain there are fundamental reasons for war, not that there shouldn't be. Boiled down-- it's territory & resources. So unless you're prepared to say slaves are just a resource, no different than any other labor, then cut me some slack and quit maligning what I wrote in an attempt to detract from what is, and was, plain for all the world to see as the divisive issue of the American civil war.