Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Help me save my TARDIS from my HOA!!!

I asked jimnyc where I should put this thread (get your minds out of the gutter ), and he suggested here......

About a year ago, I built a shed in the form or a TARDIS, from the BBC series Dr. Who.

However, my homeowners association has decided that since the color is not on the 'approved list' of colors, they are going to fine me periodically until I change the color.

I originally made my formal presentation to the association in Feb of 2012. The presentation was to the architectural committee, and included construction details, a sample of materials and colors to be used, etc. They declined to give me a yes or no answer at the meeting, and instead said they would pass it off to the main board.

I waited over a month, and heard nothing. I then found rule #26 in the association rulebook, which states...

If the ACC does not issue a written decision within fifteen (15) days after it receives a complete application from the Executive Director, then the application will deemed to have been approved, and the proposed improvements may be made; but the proposed improvements must be made exactly in accordance with the application, and all of the plans, specifications, information and documents submitted by the owner must meet all the conditions and required specifications or are similar to the original installation.
    Since they had not met the criteria (15 day written notice), I sent them a registered letter stating I would be going ahead as planned.

The committee then claimed that by passing the buck to the main board, they had satisfied rule #26. I saw a lawyer at the time, and he said that they had not met rule 26, as they had never sent anything in writing within the 15 day period. So, I built the shed.

Now the association is threatening to fine me until I remove the shed, or change the color of the shed to one on the approved list. I refuse to do so.

I've contacted the local small claims court to see if I can bring action there, and I am waiting for a reply. I have contacted local Philadelphia tv news stations to see if they can do a story on this.

I even put up a thread asking for help from my fellow prop builders on THERPF.COM., and other sites.

Please...

HELP ME SAVE MY TARDIS!

Below is the contact information for the HOA. Please... write, call or email them, asking them to allow me to keep my TARDIS exactly as-is, and to drop the fines. Any help is sincerely appreciated.

Rhondda Homeowners Association
    P.O. BOX 232
    525 Carmarthen Drive
    Exton, PA 19341
    Phone: 610-363-8413
    Fax: 610-363-9223
    Email: property@rhonddahoa.org

Here is a form letter you can copy/paste to save time...

Dear Rhondda Homeowners Association,

It has been brought to my attention that about a year ago, one of your residents built a shed in their backyard, in the form of the iconic Blue Police Box from the British television series Dr. Who.

The resident submitted a complete application, as required by your association rules. He even met with the architectural committee in person to make a presentation, as the design and colors specified in the application were not considered 'standard' for your development.

When no written response was provided by Rhondda with the 15 day requirement set forth in rule #26 of the association rules...

If the ACC does not issue a written decision within fifteen (15) days after it receives a complete application from the Executive Director, then the application will deemed to have been approved, and the proposed improvements may be made; but the proposed improvements must be made exactly in accordance with the application, and all of the plans, specifications, information and documents submitted by the owner must meet all the conditions and required specifications or are similar to the original installation.

...the resident went ahead and built his shed.

Now, almost a year later, the Rhondda Homeowners Association is trying to fine the resident over the color of the shed! I find this inexcusable, as the resident clearly followed proper procedures, as set forth in the association rules. Essentially, he found and used a loophole in the rules, and you are trying to penalize him for it.

I respectfully urge you to reconsider your position, and refrain from any further attempts to fine or otherwise punish the resident in this matter.

Thank you for your time.

Any help is sincerely appreciated gang. Thanks in advance. I picture of the shed can be found in the link in my sig.
    Last edited by Marcus Aurelius; 04-03-2013 at 01:13 PM.