Originally Posted by revelarts
I guess my problem Jim is I don't want the cops to break the law to uphold the law.
you are all about law and safety until the cops do the law breaking. then your like well the ends justify the means.

I Understand the sentiment but police powers are broad enough to allow them to do their jobs, it seems to me.
If they feel that they have to break the law daily to protect people, they should --as you've said so many times--- go to the legislators change the laws. They have no right, as LAW ENFORCEMENT officers, to break the very laws they swore to defend and uphold.

And harassing innocent people is not somewhere i want the police to feel comfortable going in any neighborhood. that's the very definition of a police state.
Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
I hear ya, and I don't think they should be breaking the law either. But common sense states to monitor those committing the most crimes. I still think they should have reasonable cause/suspicion before shaking someone down. But to profile down I don't take issue with. I'll give the cops some leniency in being aggressive in their searches for crime, but not to the point of having criminals chasing criminals.
This reminds me of two fish discussing the pond of water they live in. Telling each other and the rest of us how it is in that pond and they just won't sit still for things not working out their way.

My problem with the cops is they normally obey laws, but enough do not that they do become part of the problem.

I am sure using Google we call can pull up many articles on cops gone wrong.