I renamed the title from the title on the article, as no way is this mean to be another thread about Muslims, or targeting anyone for that fact, other than DeBlasio perhaps.

We've had pretty much the same holidays (off of school) since I was a little kid. I honestly don't know how they decided which got honored and which didn't. But here we are today, and how do you decide which new holidays to add to the calendar of days off, if any? How do you choose one to be honored in such fashion and not another? Choosing one and not another will obviously insult some while making others happy. I have NO ISSUE with any of the holidays mentioned being recognized as such. Obviously each and every holiday cannot be days off of school, or the kids would go to school for like 9 days per year! Maybe population based? I think there are like 5% Muslim in the USA, whereas the Hindu population is like less than 1% (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Please lets not make this a bash Islam thread. I'm just baffled as to how this stuff is decided. Is it really just one man that ultimately decides this? He's not making any Indian friends, that's for sure!

And when does Festivus get a day off?

New York City is moving to close school for two Muslim holidays and the Lunar New Year — but Mayor de Blasio isn’t so sure about the Hindu festival Diwali.

Appearing on WNYC’s “Brian Lehrer Show” on Monday, the mayor said he hadn’t taken a position on whether Diwali, the festival of lights celebrated in India and other South Asian countries, should be a day off from school.

But he said he’d move forward with closing schools for Lunar New Year and for Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha, Muslim holy days.

“It is complicated in terms of logistics and school calendar and budget. But it’s something I want to get done in a reasonable time frame,” he said.

A spokesman for the Indian community appealed to the mayor to recognize the Hindu holiday.

“We are disappointed. We’ve been trying for a long time … It’s very important for the community,” said Dr. Shashi Shah of the Association of Indians in America.

Ethnic communities have pushed for all four holidays to be recognized. Former Mayor Bloomberg opposed the change, saying kids should not miss more school.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1601237