Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
Dude, you NEVER cut the red wire. That's ALWAYS fire n smoke alarms.

You don't know who got their ass chewed. Praise in public, criticize in private. Unless he's a dumb boot LT, that officer's not going to chew anyone's ass in front of you. And he ain't going to be looking for airmen. They're following orders. He's going to look for their boss. Nor is he going to yell at you. The airmen were relaying orders they were told and you were doing what you were told. Sounds like a good officer. Rare.

Back to laughing at you ... red wire running free in a ceiling or wall is ALWAYS fire alarm. Do YOU have red cable? No. I have red wire but it's always in conduit. Let me guess ... 2 pair (redundant, I know) 18 gauge, sheathed. I would have been teasing your ass for the rest of the year at least.
s a
Yep, there was red Belden cable back in the day, both Cat3 and Cat5e. Belden was harder to terminate because of the bonded pairs, but it was very high quality. They had some of that in the mix for ordinary data runs, along with every other color... there was no rhyme or reason to it, just whatever the contractor decided to put in over the years. If I had not seen red ethernet prior, I wouldn't have cut it. It's funny now, but it sure as hell wasn't at the time!