As most of you know, my best friend Jerome has passed on. I'm still heartbroken. Against advice, I kinda still hold back the tears and kinda avoid discussing with others. To me, it's personal and he was literally my best friend.

Anyway. So I try not to say "Jerome" for now in front of the Chihuahua. The first few times afterwards, his tail was wagging and he kinda went looking around for him. It broke my heart to see that. He really seemed depressed for awhile. When the wife used his name several times, I very politely and sincerely explained what I just said, and further said "Please just leave it be for awhile. I see him searching and it kills me to see that. In time it will be better". The response?

"I'm not avoiding the subject like Voldemort. He's just a dog."

I believe she was talking about Porter with the "just a dog" comment, but it doesn't matter to me whether Porter or Jerome. If you feel one is just a dog, then I'm sure others as well. I then turned and said "Sure, just like Nero is JUST a cat". She adores him and lets him sleep with her. I don't know if I should have been surprised when she said the same, he's just a cat.

Am I wrong for trying to protect Porter for now? Is it wrong to feel like it hurts him, or makes him search, when he doesn't know for sure what happened? This re-opened a healing wound for me.