MILFORD, Conn. – A Connecticut school district is banning Halloween in an effort to be inclusive.

Victoria Johannsen, a mother of a third-grader at Live Oaks School in Milford Public Schools, says she received a letter stating the school’s decision to no longer recognize Halloween “arose out of numerous incidents of children being excluded from activities due to religion, cultural beliefs, etc.,” the Connecticut Post reports.

The school is discontinuing a popular costume parade, banning students and staff from wearing costumes on the day and is rebranding Oct. 31st to be “fall themed.”

And if that’s not bad enough, Michelle Obama’s school lunch rules are impacting the lack of fun: “food is not an option” for classroom activities, according to the school’s letter.

“I think it’s crazy,” she tells the paper. “I don’t understand why other avenues weren’t pursued” to accommodate any families or children who felt excluded, she adds.

“I don’t think we’re excluding anybody,” Johannsen insists. “I think they’re excluding themselves.”

She and over 350 other parents have signed a petition calling on the school district to restore the fun and allow children to walk in the parade.

http://eagnews.org/connecticut-schoo...tural-beliefs/