Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
That's sweet of you, Perianne. Thank you !

You are, of course, referring to Welsh ... ... which definitely qualifies as a foreign language (and then some). That's beside the fact that I've been living in Wales for several years, now, and tried to learn it. I failed miserably ...

Not that it matters - Welsh is a dying language, and only a fairly small percentage of even the Welsh can speak it !

I can manage 'Bore Da' (Welsh greeting, meaning 'Good Morning' .. the 'e' in 'Bore' is accented). Just. I've been told I have a talent for pronouncing Welsh (though that's probably with a trace of a Cockney accent, as I'm from north London, originally) .. just not understanding any of it ...

Basically 'no'. The type of accent normally associated with 'hillbilly-speak', maybe, otherwise, I'd have to say no, and I think that's true of Brits generally. An American accent is easier on the ears than many British ones are, even to me. I struggle with the Geordie accent, for example (North-east England, around Newcastle, Tyne & Wear), or maybe the more impenetrable Scottish variations.

I've seen both the British and American versions of the Jeremy Kyle show. I can honestly say that the American version is easier on the ears than the Brit one !
I used to spend the night at Nain and Taid's house as a kid.