At some time recently, my paternal grandfather passed away. He moved to South Carolina before I was born due to the fact that his two sons had "betrayed him."
My grandfather was deeply prejudiced and hostile to those he considered "outsiders." When his oldest son married a Mexican immigrant and his youngest son (my dad) married a German immigrant, he cut all ties with them. He refused to attend my sister's wedding because she too married a Mexican immigrant.
When I got engaged, I found his address and invited him to my wedding (no prob, my husband is American ). To my surprise, he actually came. Left right after though. Old prejudices die hard.

Where all this comes in is when staff members of the place where he lived went looking for next of kin. The only number they had was mine. My grandfather had saved things from my wedding.
Which, by law, makes me the sole heir and executor of his estate. According to what his legal rep said. So yes, I get to go to South Carolina and figure out what to do next.
There is no funeral because his wish was to be cremated.

My dad and my uncle are coming with me. Because though my grandfather never forgave them in life, they have forgiven him in death.

RIP my last grandparent. World War II vet. Dedicated conservative. Flawed by still beloved family member.