Look, they removed flags from government buildings. While I didn't want it to happen, for historical reasons in those states, I can see why they decided such. But I don't think they should go farther and ban shirts or other things with the flag on it. Nor things with other flags that may piss some off. Similar to now, and some incorrectly seeing racists in EVERYONE who would identify with the alt-right. Not everything about the confederate was racist, not every veteran of that era was racist, not every action racist. And folks lost family members no matter how you slice it. If folks see racism in it at ALL times anyway, that's their issue to deal with. If folks see a shirt or whatever with a flag on it, and literally can't deal with it and make it through the day - I honestly think they should sit down with a therapist.

And simply wearing a shirt is now going to have some compare it to the old yelling fire in a movie theater? That's funny, but of course wrong. Maybe give them a safe space instead.

-----

Students Are Protesting a Ban On Confederate Flag Clothing

Students at a high school in Plum, Penn., are protesting a ban on apparel featuring the Confederate flag. The prohibition was recently put in place after a 16-year-old African-American student complained that a peer was wearing a hoodie bearing the battle insignia.

The student was initially reprimanded for wearing the clothing — but was then allowed to wear it later in the day.

Robert Williams, the father of the student who made the complaint about the hoodie, told CBS Pittsburgh, “My daughter shouldn’t have to endure or be subjected to hatred, bigotry, or any kind of racial animus.” He continued, “First Amendment rights aren’t absolute. I can’t run around and go into a movie theater and yell ‘fire.’”

“To wear the Confederate flag in a classroom environment, in a school environment, it was very disruptive and upsetting to my child,” the disgruntled father said.

At the time of the complaint, Plum Borough School District Superintendent Dr. Timothy Glasspool informed news outlet KDKA that the Plum school district cannot discipline students speech without “a substantial disruption.”

A ban was placed on the clothing after three more students wore the apparel to class the day after the reported incident — two of which were sent home after refusing to take off the Confederate flag items.

“As an educational institution we view this as a learning opportunity for our children and encourage all families to discuss how these symbols can cause fear or anxiety in others,” Glasspool wrote in a statement. “The practice of ethnic, religious, racial or gender-charged symbols that profess hatred, bigotry, or oppression has no place in any learning institution and will not be tolerated in Plum schools.”

Noah Leech was one of the students dismissed from school. “They basically told me I have to go home and there is a possibility I may be expelled for wearing my hoodie to school,” he told NEWS10. When asked why he felt so strongly for the hoodie and values attached to it, Leech described that he has worn the jacket to school many times before without issue and doesn’t see the problem. “Our bloodline comes from West Virginia,” he said. “They were helping move slaves from the South into the North under the Confederate flag so that’s what I stand for.”

Two freshman female students so strongly disapproved of the prohibition that they formed a protest in front of the high school and held up Confederate flags before classes started.

Kelsey Evans, one of the students, shared why she felt inclined to protest the ban. “I’m sitting out here today because I’m fighting for my rights to wear this Confederate flag to school because it should be allowed. It’s not racist. It doesn’t mean slavery. It’s just simply a Southern flag.” She added, “I’m fighting for what I believe in because so many people think it’s racist but it’s not.”

Rest here - https://www.yahoo.com/style/students...185731948.html