Actually, I don't think anyone was 'insulted.' AT can send to the Red Cross or any other charity he likes. We all can.

As for myself, through friends that flooded in IL in '85, with water lapping 3' into their main floor and basement full, the Red Cross really wasn't much help, though they had received huge donations for that flood.

Then was 9/11, where everyone sent millions if not billions, to help. Again, the money went to the Red Cross, with little accounting to how it was spent, though the administration costs were staggering. Commercials cost $$$.

My initial disaster donations go to the Salvation Army, which sticks around and keeps their administration costs to near the bottom.

As I said above, which was an echo of Abbey's, Samaritan's Purse has been noticed for their getting in and helping people in a physical sense in rebuilding after floods. Until last year in LA, I'd never heard of them, but certainly have since.

Some football player in TX has raised an enormous amount for Harvey's victims, he has all volunteer administrators and 100% is going to victims. It's local. There are churches and I read something about a mosque that have been cited as outstanding. If I was able to donate, I'd be chasing those charities down.