Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    We ate at the chow hall/Airman's Club on Iraklion AFB, Crete. It was a tiny base. The NCO Club was down at the beach. The Airman's Club was basically open to everyone because there were no restaurants. You ate at home, the snack bar or one of the clubs. The Airman's Club there WAS the chow hall.

I heard a lot of GI's from other branches that ate in AF chow halls comment that the AF had the best food they'd ever ate on base. I don't know how I did it but I'd eat a huge breakfast with seconds, lunch, dinner and midnight chow at the Flight Kitchen when I lived on base and never gained a pound. Must have had some ass kickin' metabolism going on when I was 24-25 years old, and I'm talkin' two cheese burgers with all the topings, lettuce, tomato, cheese, mayo, and fries on the side from the Flight Kitchen. I think midnight chow started at the back window on the chow hall at like 10:00PM. I worked a lot of swing shifts at Nellis AFB so I relied on that.

I'll tell ya... I MISS the Air Force, and I regret not pushing harder to life it now, instead of letting them shuffle me into some dead end job after I got medically taken off the flight line. I couldn't have cared a shit less if I'd have been sent into action, that WAS why I was there. I would have LOVED to have seen my F-16s in action. If I got killed, oh well, gotta die sometime. There was just something about the military that REALLY appealed to me, the regimentation, the security, the brotherhood, the uniform... IDK... maybe all that together... I miss it... some of the best times of my life.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 01-15-2018 at 10:44 PM.