Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
I think it would still be the same thing. All due respects to Fauxnews, but the Packers would have been "packin'" it home after the Ice Bowl if they'd had instant replay back then .

I do agree with his assessment of the "times" though. For instance .... Tony Romo. If he had even made the team in the 60s -- a BIG "if" -- the first time Butkus hit his pansy a$$ he'd have been out for the rest of his one and only season. A LOT of today's receivers wouldn't have lasted long. And where would all the records be without "turf"?

I LOVED watching games in Dec in the mud. Matter of fact, I loved PLAYING in them Best way to destroy a game is for it to become popular with the public. Well, ruin anything for that matter.

I was surprised to find on youtube some clip about longest or baddest or meanest or whatever rivalries and the ones WE think are rivalvries fall behind teams like the Eagles, Giants and Browns who have been apparently player-hating longer than anyone thought. They just haven't been rivalries during our time.
I still vividly recall sitting around the old black and white Zenith with my dad and two brothers watching the Ice Bowl 50 miles south of Green Bay. It was cold that day. I remember that dad had turned the gas oven on and left the door open in the kitchen to help out the old furnace!

I do agree with the December games in the mud. The '65 championship game in Green Bay over Cleveland truly was a classic. Browns the defending champs, snow and ice covered field that quickly turned to mud, Jim Brown's final game: