Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
Wow! Now if you'd just changed your mind because of my powers of persuasion, we'd be so much better off! LOL!

I'm always for not getting involved with other countries regarding war, but once in, let's get it done. I truly thought that was clear in the aftermath of 9/11. Unfortunately those who won't learn from Korea, Vietnam, forays in the countries south of us, so we have this.

I actually agree that we can't 'Win' Afghanistan, but what was proposed regarding making a 'deal' with the Taliban would have been a loss ala Vietnam or what Obama pulled in Iraq/Syria.

Going to have to work with the official government, get some good human intelligence set up for the long haul, working with allies in the area. Keep ISIS/Taliban on the radar, hitting them when necessary. We don't strategically arm the official government either, that would be setting up a new Sadam. Nope, let that government deal with the day-to-day, we'll hit from the air when the really bad guys need to be thinned.

I'm not a strategist, but the generals and CIA can work with this.

Turns out , taking out Sadam was a major tactical error. He ruled Iraq with an iron fist, ISIS didn't flourish under his regime, I'll tell you that.

Here's a cold hard truth about our military. We haven't "won" a real war since WWII. Sure we beat the shit out of Grenada, we rolled over Iraq in Desert Storm, but tactically and strategically we have been beaten in every war since WWII that we have involved ourselves in because we elect Presidents who have not served. I'm not saying that only those who have served are qualified to be President, but it's a major factor when you are actually involved in war. Our last two Presidents, Obama and now Trump have BOTH for some reason believed and continue to believe that they know more about war than the professionals . Chalk that up to ego or whatever, but it is true.

Couple that with bleeding heart Americans who cry about our enemy being tortured via water boarding and sleep deprivation, let alone collateral damaged caused by these motherfuckers taking shots at us while hiding behind old people and women and you have a llttle pissant group like the fucking Taliban chasing off the greatest military the world has ever seen.

You think that if in 2001 a Douglas MacArthur were told "do what you need to do , defeat the Taliban in Afghanistan" that we would still be in this war 18 fucking years later?

Long story short, once again it boils down to Americans being stupid and our enemy realizing "all we have to do is outlast the enemy" that's why as late as last week I wanted us out of Afghanistan, because I have known all along the US public isn't going to allow our military to ever win this war.