Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theHawk View Post
    I'm a little curious to know where any of these numbers come up. Genesis is so vague, isn't it possible it covers eons?
    It was calculated by a bishop, IIRC, using the timelines in the Old Testament, and making the assumptions that 1) the "days" of Genesis are 24-hour days, not "ages" or "eons" (which are other translations of that word) and 2) OT geneaologies are complete (i.e. not missing any generations).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Interesting. So, in your honest opinion, the people of New Orleans should have been left to their own devices? Not trying to pick a political fight either.

Our society is based on the strong protecting the weak. They would otherwise die. If I understand you correctly, too bad for those that can't cut it, huh?
    Baically, yes. Especially in the case of New Orleans. They had ample warning of the impending danger, If you were too stupid to leave, that isn't my problem, "but they didn't all have cars!" WALK. And if you're going to shoot at rescue workers...Fuck off and die. In My opinion New Orleans is also the most racist city in the country. Their own governor calls it the "Chocolate City"
    Press 1 for english; Se habla Espaniol press 2 to connect you directly to the nearest police department for immediate arrest, detainment, confiscation of all your 'Stolen' assets, and deportation...thank you for calling.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Besides, the world is overpopulated as it is. Because we defend the weak, save those who would have died, and instead live paralyzed or retarded, because we uphold the 'values' of weakness...
    Press 1 for english; Se habla Espaniol press 2 to connect you directly to the nearest police department for immediate arrest, detainment, confiscation of all your 'Stolen' assets, and deportation...thank you for calling.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Norse_soul View Post
    Besides, the world is overpopulated as it is. Because we defend the weak, save those who would have died, and instead live paralyzed or retarded, because we uphold the 'values' of weakness...
    I disagree. We uphold the "values" of human life. Natural selection in the mortal sense stopped applying to humans a long time ago.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
    I disagree. We uphold the "values" of human life. Natural selection in the mortal sense stopped applying to humans a long time ago.
    Natural Selection in Any sense never ceases to be needed. It's how a race stays strong. Even more so in the human race, because we have no natural predator's. (Except each other of course)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Natural Selection in Any sense never ceases to be needed. It's how a race stays strong. Even more so in the human race, because we have no natural predator's. (Except each other of course)
    Exactly, and our self imposed unnecessary hierarchies are breeding followers, liars, and asskissers, instead of strong leaders with moral clarity and actual talent, intelligence and foresight.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheSage View Post
    Exactly, and our self imposed unnecessary hierarchies are breeding followers, liars, and asskissers, instead of strong leaders with moral clarity and actual talent, intelligence and foresight.
    SHEEP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

SHEEP

Yggdrasil!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)

Baically, yes. Especially in the case of New Orleans. They had ample warning of the impending danger, If you were too stupid to leave, that isn't my problem, "but they didn't all have cars!" WALK. And if you're going to shoot at rescue workers...Fuck off and die. In My opinion New Orleans is also the most racist city in the country. Their own governor calls it the "Chocolate City"
    I have a hard time faulting your logic. Matter of fact, I've said the same thing on more than one occasion. If you're too dumb to get out from in front of a hurricane, you deserve what you get; especially, if you had enough time to WALK to Texas before it hit.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)

I'll have to think on it. I'm half-inclined to agree with your opinion, and do agree that your assessment of valuing weakness is correct.

What gets me the most is that it is those same weak that are protected by teh strong who are the most vocal critics of the strong. Like their lame asses would be alive without someone doing the fighting for them.

At the same time, I am inclined to help those truly in need, if I can.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Norse. I thought you were cool at first, but this is a shitty attitude.
    Last edited by TheSage; 02-08-2007 at 06:41 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheSage View Post
    Norse. I thought you were cool at first, but this is a shitty attitude.
    Many races throughout the history of Mankind have adopted this attitude, including most Native American Tribes. Some tribes left weak or deformed children exposed to the elements in order to strengthen the bloodlines in the tribe. If my child were born premature and wouldn't survive without surgery and incubation, then that's what was meant to be, the skein of your life is written, the more you try and change it, the more you screw up natural selection, and the powers of nature itself...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We have the intellect and technology to keep weak members of our species alive--members who would've been picked-off by natural selection, hence natural selection no longer applies to us humans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Natural selection still applies to humans, but not fully. It's now rare that those with genetic disadvantages rarely die off early as a result. However, each person still chooses with whom to mate. Traits that make an undesirable mate are still weeded out or relegated to the dregs of society. When's the last time you saw a successful, good-looking, rich businessman banging some poor, ugly skank. Desirable traits for mating, such as beauty, intelligence, and physique are still more likely to be passed on than undesirable traits, such as ugliness, weakness, and stupidity.

As far as letting the incompetant die, I'm all for voluntary charity there. If somebody was too stupid to move out of the way of a hurricane, I'll be more than happy to help them out a bit, but I want the power to cut off that help if they piss me off.

One final note, Stephen Hawking is currently physically inferior to most of mankind. He cannot walk. He cannot talk. He can, however, perform complex differential equations in seconds and unravel the deepest mysteries of the cosmos, so I'm all for keeping him alive.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Natural selection still applies to humans, but not fully. It's now rare that those with genetic disadvantages rarely die off early as a result. However, each person still chooses with whom to mate. Traits that make an undesirable mate are still weeded out or relegated to the dregs of society. When's the last time you saw a successful, good-looking, rich businessman banging some poor, ugly skank. Desirable traits for mating, such as beauty, intelligence, and physique are still more likely to be passed on than undesirable traits, such as ugliness, weakness, and stupidity.

As far as letting the incompetant die, I'm all for voluntary charity there. If somebody was too stupid to move out of the way of a hurricane, I'll be more than happy to help them out a bit, but I want the power to cut off that help if they piss me off.

One final note, Stephen Hawking is currently physically inferior to most of mankind. He cannot walk. He cannot talk. He can, however, perform complex differential equations in seconds and unravel the deepest mysteries of the cosmos, so I'm all for keeping him alive.
    Did the Spartans have it right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.