Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default what does "low budget" mean in movies?

Can someone tell me what the words “low budget” actually mean in the film industry? How cheap does a film have to be to be considered “low budget?” Are there indie films that are “high budget”? What would an example of that be? I can never tell from looking at a movie how much money was spent on it, I can’t even get within the range. I saw a great “low budget” movie called “Outsourced” last weekend – anyone else see it? How much do you think it cost to make?

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

“… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Clerks and Clerks 2 are awesome movies if you havent seen them i think even 2 qualifies as low budget

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109445/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

according to my brother...100k usually less than 50k.....

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

All the above is correct, but it's all relative. There are a lot of factors that go into a movie being labelled "low budget". As mrg said, both Clerks and Clerks 2 are considered low-budget. Clerks was budgeted at around $28,000 whereas Clerks 2 was around $4 million (I believe). However, one has to factor in the fact that Clerks 2 was a union film, contains many roles with "famous" people, required much more set design, camera work, etc. So, for all that went up on the screen, $4 million isn't that much (by Hollywood standards, of course).

If you wanted an exact range, I'd say manu's bro hit it on the head, below $100,000. The vast majority of movies you see, even the "low budget, independent" ones, tend to cost more than they seem like they should. For example, a movie shot on 16mm film or digital video needs to be converted to 35mm film (the standard film stock for most theaters). This process alone usually costs around $30,000.

However, right now, we are at the cusp of a new style of filmmaking. David Lynch (Twin Peaks, Mulholland Drive) just put out a movie called INLAND EMPIRE that was shot on video using his friends as actors, and the budget for that was around $4,000. Digital video is almost at the point that it is not only affordable, but comparable quality-wise to film.
    Free the West Memphis 3.... http://www.wm3.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
    Clerks and Clerks 2 are awesome movies if you havent seen them i think even 2 qualifies as low budget

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109445/
    The original Clerks was what I defined "low budget" by for years, but I somehow figured since now there's a lot more accessible digital film technology that things would have changed. I still wonder how much "Outsourced" cost, I looked online but couldn't find the budget for it. Found a few good reviews: http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117...lay=outsourced