Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

First, a NBC "analyst" calls members of the US military mercenaries - now AP calls them tortures

AP: TV Turns Soldiers Into Torturers
    Posted by Warner Todd Huston on February 12, 2007 - 09:59.

The AP has found a new way to attack TV's 24. They say that because of the depiction of character Jack Bauer's, shall we say, short-cuts in interrogating prisoners his ways have now infected the US Military. Absurdly, the AP is advancing the case, in "Does Jack Bauer Influence Interrogators?", that "there are indications that real-life American interrogators in Iraq are taking cues from what they see on television."

Are they indeed? Says who?

Predictably the AP reports these claims are from the "advocacy group Human Rights First".

No surprise there, eh?

The scene from Fox's "24" is haunting, but hardly unusual. The advocacy group Human Rights First says there's been a startling increase in the number of torture scenes depicted on prime-time television in the post-2001 world.

Even more chilling, there are indications that real-life American interrogators in Iraq are taking cues from what they see on television, said Jill Savitt, the group's director of public programs.

The article, of course, offers no real proof and even more ridiculously -- get this -- it is written by David Bauder, the AP television writer!

Not a news guy... an entertainment guy is responsible for this mess!

After reading this gem of reporting, you'll see how empty of any substance it really is. But it serves the AP's purpose of advancing the message that our soldiers are mind-numbed, animals that are so stupid that a TV show will cause them to torture everyone in their charge. Yes, it serves the AP's purpose to smear the US military quite well.

In fact, about the only sensible quote in the entire piece is from one of the producers of 24.

"We're not a documentary or a manual on interrogation," he said. "We're not a primer on the war on terror. We're a television show."

Truthfully, there isn't much worth wasting breath about in this sloppy story, but it does raise some interesting questions.

How does the violence on TV infect the simple minds of our military, yet video games and movies are constantly claimed to be "just entertainment" in any other context? After all, they always say that the violence won't affect our young because it's "just movie fantasy", or video, fantasy, or what have you. Yet, the same people rush to the support the violence and anti-sociality of Rap "music" every chance they get claiming it's "just music" along with doing the same for TV and movies in similar fashion.

Yet, here is an entertainment "reporter" claiming that our soldiers are being ruined by this TV show and its fake violence?

What gives?

How can fake entertainment violence harm soldiers but not our children? How can it turn soldiers into crazed torturers but be perfectly harmless for the rest of society?

The answer to that is, of course, that the AP finds it advantageous to make an exception to their regular stance if it helps them smear the US military and the war effort.

Yep, no surprise there.

http://newsbusters.org/node/10770

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    If it helps you out any, I go teh exact same route you said you do .... I type "news" into google and run down the list.

I don't care for Rush nor Hannity ... Michael WHO? .... and I sometimes watch O'Reilly.

Since all are op-eds, I do not consider any of them news sources.
    Michael (Weiner) Savage... just another chickenhawk "news" hack...
    Lost your job? Thank the republicans!
    Lost your house? Thank the republicans!
    Lost your life savings? Thank the republicans!
    Lost your health care? Thank the republicans!
    Lost all Hope? Thank the republicans!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Matter of fact, I have. When my father returned from Nam the second time. The peaceniks were there to "greet" the MAC flight.

What right wing whacko press?

That Pelosi or ANY Congress critters want a jet period is all I need to know. I'd love to trim both their perks AND their pay.
    Those flights usually landed on military bases... I know because I met a lot of them while stationed at Travis AFB... and I don't think they let peaceniks onto military bases back then... I sure don't recall seeing any...

Fox News... Washington Times... New York Post... and numerous online sites...

The Speaker of the House has been afforded a private jet since 9/11... 3rd in line and all that... Hastert had one... did it matter to you that he had one when HE was Speaker?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red states rule View Post
    First, a NBC "analyst" calls members of the US military mercenaries - now AP calls them tortures

AP: TV Turns Soldiers Into Torturers
    Posted by Warner Todd Huston on February 12, 2007 - 09:59.

The AP has found a new way to attack TV's 24. They say that because of the depiction of character Jack Bauer's, shall we say, short-cuts in interrogating prisoners his ways have now infected the US Military. Absurdly, the AP is advancing the case, in "Does Jack Bauer Influence Interrogators?", that "there are indications that real-life American interrogators in Iraq are taking cues from what they see on television."

Are they indeed? Says who?

Predictably the AP reports these claims are from the "advocacy group Human Rights First".

No surprise there, eh?

The scene from Fox's "24" is haunting, but hardly unusual. The advocacy group Human Rights First says there's been a startling increase in the number of torture scenes depicted on prime-time television in the post-2001 world.

Even more chilling, there are indications that real-life American interrogators in Iraq are taking cues from what they see on television, said Jill Savitt, the group's director of public programs.

The article, of course, offers no real proof and even more ridiculously -- get this -- it is written by David Bauder, the AP television writer!

Not a news guy... an entertainment guy is responsible for this mess!

After reading this gem of reporting, you'll see how empty of any substance it really is. But it serves the AP's purpose of advancing the message that our soldiers are mind-numbed, animals that are so stupid that a TV show will cause them to torture everyone in their charge. Yes, it serves the AP's purpose to smear the US military quite well.

In fact, about the only sensible quote in the entire piece is from one of the producers of 24.

"We're not a documentary or a manual on interrogation," he said. "We're not a primer on the war on terror. We're a television show."

Truthfully, there isn't much worth wasting breath about in this sloppy story, but it does raise some interesting questions.

How does the violence on TV infect the simple minds of our military, yet video games and movies are constantly claimed to be "just entertainment" in any other context? After all, they always say that the violence won't affect our young because it's "just movie fantasy", or video, fantasy, or what have you. Yet, the same people rush to the support the violence and anti-sociality of Rap "music" every chance they get claiming it's "just music" along with doing the same for TV and movies in similar fashion.

Yet, here is an entertainment "reporter" claiming that our soldiers are being ruined by this TV show and its fake violence?

What gives?

How can fake entertainment violence harm soldiers but not our children? How can it turn soldiers into crazed torturers but be perfectly harmless for the rest of society?

The answer to that is, of course, that the AP finds it advantageous to make an exception to their regular stance if it helps them smear the US military and the war effort.

Yep, no surprise there.

http://newsbusters.org/node/10770
    and the relevance of this post to the topic of Afghanistan is what?

you lost, red? or is it self induced short term memory loss?

I told you you gotta stop doing those illicit drugs... it'll rot your brain and then you'll never get out of high school...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
    Hmm. I saw some bitching about democrats and then some technical, self-righteous military gobblety-gook about what a badass this guy thinks he is for doing his job. Odd though that I didn't see anything in there about this guy being tired of seeing caskets with US flags draped over them being sent home on cargo planes. Or about him being tired of Republicans continually supporting administrative policies that have resulted in more of those caskets being shipped home than was necessary. Funny he calls the president his "commander in chief" as if the moniker alone should be enough to command respect. Well it isn't. When your policies have failed as miserably as this president's have, US citizens and most importantly, US military personnel should be the first to wake up and say "Gee, maybe something's amiss. Maybe this guy is either stupid or doesn't have my best interests at heart."

You might-as-well have wiped your ass with the flag and splattered it onto your computer monitor. The gist would've been the same. So you're a Republican. I could tell from your militaristic avatar. You didn't have to beat the horse any more. It was already dead!
    So then being antiwar as you are I wonder if you think it's okay to just pull our troops out and leave the Iraqis who do want freedom, and are working toward that end to just be slaughtered by thier own kind?????

Anyone who voluntarily joins the military knows they are beholden to the Comander in chief, whoever that may be, and further to take the oath of loyalty to this country they make seriously.
    Are you only concerned with the opinions of those soldiers who share your anit-war opinion few as they are???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If the general public are unwilling to accept the realities of war maybe they should be kept in the dark or fed sugar coated versions, like, "Military tickled terrorist until he confessed".It's not nice, and thats a fact.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
    So then being antiwar as you are I wonder if you think it's okay to just pull our troops out and leave the Iraqis who do want freedom, and are working toward that end to just be slaughtered by thier own kind????
    Well unless the US is gonna be there 'til judgement day, that is going to happen no matter when the US pulls out..

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
    Anyone who voluntarily joins the military knows they are beholden to the Comander in chief, whoever that may be, and further to take the oath of loyalty to this country they make seriously.
    As long as the CIC is making the right decisions and doesn't use misguiding thinking to get the folks in harms way for nothing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheStripey1 View Post
    Michael (Weiner) Savage... just another chickenhawk "news" hack...
    Heard the name. Can't say that I recall having ever seen/heard him, nor read anything by him.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Those flights usually landed on military bases... I know because I met a lot of them while stationed at Travis AFB... and I don't think they let peaceniks onto military bases back then... I sure don't recall seeing any...

It depended on what MAC flight you got...I flew into Oakland (twice) because I was on a commercial carrier. Flew regular military aircraft from in country to Japan and then got transfered over to a CAT Y (civilian aircraft) to get to CONUS (USA). Did not see any organized protests but the peaceniks were there...that's for sure. They made damn sure I knew it too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Fox News... Washington Times... New York Post... and numerous online sites...

The Speaker of the House has been afforded a private jet since 9/11... 3rd in line and all that... Hastert had one... did it matter to you that he had one when HE was Speaker?

The flights used to land in Oakland. While I was in, they landed at Oakland, LAX, and Anchorage.

I honestly did not know Hastert had a private jet at his disposal, and yes it would have bothered me. ALL the perks and free trips, and free parking (ever try to park in the District?), free meals ... on top of them making sure they reward themselves for their inacitivity each year with a raise, pisses me off, and I am completely non-partisan about it.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The flights used to land in Oakland. While I was in, they landed at Oakland, LAX, and Anchorage.

I honestly did not know Hastert had a private jet at his disposal, and yes it would have bothered me. ALL the perks and free trips, and free parking (ever try to park in the District?), free meals ... on top of them making sure they reward themselves for their inacitivity each year with a raise, pisses me off, and I am completely non-partisan about it.
    after 911....the white house wanted the 3rd in line to stop flying commercial and gave them a private jet....hassert had a "gulfstream" style jet

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumplestillskin View Post
    Well unless the US is gonna be there 'til judgement day, that is going to happen no matter when the US pulls out..
    I don't agree with that thinking. Most of those people want freedom, not necessarily our kind of democracy but freedom nonetheless. I disagree that they are uncultured people incapable of establishing a cohesive government.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    after 911....the white house wanted the 3rd in line to stop flying commercial and gave them a private jet....hassert had a "gulfstream" style jet
    If they were sitting their butts in their respective Houses at the Capitol, they wouldn't need to be galavanting around in top-of-the-line jets at taxpayer expense.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If they were sitting their butts in their respective Houses at the Capitol, they wouldn't need to be galavanting around in top-of-the-line jets at taxpayer expense.
    But the fact is with re-election as frequent as it is, they essentially have to start running for re-election from the moment they're sworn back in. That means they have to go back and forth to their district... constituent services, etc.

You didn't really answer, though. Did it bother you when it was Hastart? Because I don't recall anyone complaining about it... ever. Maybe I missed it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jillian View Post
    But the fact is with re-election as frequent as it is, they essentially have to start running for re-election from the moment they're sworn back in. That means they have to go back and forth to their district... constituent services, etc.
    Yeah, but that reinforces my argument FOR term limits and AGAINST professional politicians.

You didn't really answer, though. Did it bother you when it was Hastart? Because I don't recall anyone complaining about it... ever. Maybe I missed it.
    It sure as hell bugged me. Professional politicians are a plague on humanity. Life-size mosquitoes they are, parasites. Party affiliation doesn't matter.
    “Liberalism is totalitarianism with a human face” - Thomas Sowell

“What "multiculturalism" boils down to is that you can praise any culture in the world except Western culture - and you cannot blame any culture in the world except Western culture” - Thomas Sowell