Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by typomaniac View Post
    Okay, I can see how you might have seen it as a jab. You'll just have to take my word for it that I really didn't know you made money from repairing Harleys. (I figured you were just an enthusiast.)

At any rate, I don't consider it a "jab" to say that someone is happier working with their hands than buried in reading material. I know full well that skilled laborers are by no means stupid.

Never said that. Sure, there are people without degrees who are lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. Most of them never get that chance. (Not to mention that college was a lot cheaper in your day, even inflation-adjusted.)
    The most I ever borrowed in student loans was $1,192.00. That's total, for college, three different technical schools, and several college extension courses and summer trainings. The rest came out of my own pocket. I worked and paid my way. That's why I see it as such a travesty to force me to pay for someone else to go to college, even those who think it's just a great time to party and flunk out, or just aren't smart enough to be there in the first place, as you've talked with Kathy about.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    The most I ever borrowed in student loans was $1,192.00. That's total, for college, three different technical schools, and several college extension courses and summer trainings. The rest came out of my own pocket. I worked and paid my way. That's why I see it as such a travesty to force me to pay for someone else to go to college, even those who think it's just a great time to party and flunk out, or just aren't smart enough to be there in the first place, as you've talked with Kathy about.
    Yup, my youngest is now in his senior year. He has had scholarship for academics and some for need. He worked as an RA for 3 years. He also did a Disney Internship, mind you, he's graduating 1 semester beyond 4 years. His total 'debt', $less than 2 k.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

One bad one-liner deserves another, that's all.
    Aww. I didn't think it was all that bad!
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If paying higher taxes means not having to save for college tuition, most families wouldn't see that as a problem, would they?
    You do realize how stupid your comment is.

If the feds force us to "save" by paying more "taxes" so that our child can go to school, yeeeeah, wooopi.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I guess we must have a communist military, then.
    Funny thing, I read an article a few years ago that stated the US Military was the only working communist society. I guess if you look at it, it was right. It works in this instance, but I do not want to have the whole country operating in that form of goverment. In the military you need to have the one person in charge and everyone following without question.

AF
    "Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."

Mark Twain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyone who's smart enough and academically inclined should attend college, yes. And yes, that's something I would have you all pay for if I were US Dictator.

No sense wasting money on those who are below average intelligence, or who are truly happy doing motorcycle repair (or whatever).
    what makes you think people who like motorcycle repair are below average intelligence? how arrogant.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    what makes you think people who like motorcycle repair are below average intelligence? how arrogant.
    Read post #30, kid.
    If you're worth less than $5 million and you vote for McCain, you're a loser.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Read post #30, kid.
    nothing in post 30 negates what I just said.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AFbombloader View Post
    Funny thing, I read an article a few years ago that stated the US Military was the only working communist society. I guess if you look at it, it was right. It works in this instance, but I do not want to have the whole country operating in that form of goverment. In the military you need to have the one person in charge and everyone following without question.

AF
    Its like Gene Hackman said,"We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it."
    PRAIRIE FIRE by William Ayers: Obama's guide to destory America
    "Maybe I missed that part of the Constitution"--Joe Steel
    You can't spell Liberals without Lies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    nothing in post 30 negates what I just said.
    Clearly someone has to spoon-feed you:

Quote Originally Posted by typomaniac
    ...I don't consider it a "jab" to say that someone is happier working with their hands than buried in reading material. I know full well that skilled laborers are by no means stupid.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Theres a reason that I'm against this, and its probably the wrong reason to be against it:
    There are a lot of undiscovered smart poor kids who never go to private colleges because it costs too much. Smart enough to get some scholarships, but not enough for private tuition. Thus, it reduces the competition for schools. If everyone was given money for college, the competition would be overwhelming. Everyone can go to college, but not everyone does, and thats the way it should stay.
    Last edited by Guernicaa; 10-30-2007 at 03:35 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Obama08 View Post
    Theres a reason that I'm against this, and its probably the wrong reason to be against it:
    There are a lot of undiscovered smart poor kids who never go to private colleges because it costs too much. Smart enough to get some scholarships, but not enough for private tuition. Thus, it reduces the competition for schools. If everyone was given money for college, the competition would be overwhelming. Everyone can go to college, but not everyone does, and thats the way it should stay.
    Actually its the "smart" middle class that gets screwed here. There are a number of programs for the poor but nothing for the middle class. If your poor you have a much easier time of obtaining grants and hardship scholarships those dont exist for the middle class.

Ultimately the middle class gets stuck with high taxes to support these types of programs with no way to utilize them. With the higher taxes comes less money to send their own children to college

Do you really believe a "private college" provideds a superior education over a "public college"? What I have learned through the years is that it is what you put into it that counts I dont care if you go to Harvard or Ohio State its what YOU put into it not what the schools name is..
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post
    Actually its the "smart" middle class that gets screwed here. There are a number of programs for the poor but nothing for the middle class. If your poor you have a much easier time of obtaining grants and hardship scholarships those dont exist for the middle class.

Ultimately the middle class gets stuck with high taxes to support these types of programs with no way to utilize them. With the higher taxes comes less money to send their own children to college.
    That's how the status quo works, absolutely. So doesn't it stand to reason that getting rid of government grants for the poor only and replacing them with tuition for anyone smart enough to attend is the better alternative?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Obama08 View Post
    Actually the private schools have way more money for underpriviledge but smart kids. It's way easier to get a free ride at Harvard, Northwestern, even a small private university than a U of I or U of M.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah I need to re-phrase what I was trying to say.
    I think I said it wrong.

If everyone is given free money to go to college, regardless of where it is, college competition will go up because so many more people are going to go.

Also, I think paying those bills yourself, or at least some of it, makes you appreciate your college education more.