Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by typomaniac View Post
    Not at all. We used to have a dog who would bark at me (in public!) whenever I dared to pet someone else's dog.
    LOL. Point to typo.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think humans are territorial moreso than jealous.

I usually get a 'vibe' about someone and I've never been wrong. Perhaps it's just sensing competion, I'm not really sure. This extends to people in all situations. I can always tell who, in any given situation will be the one to give me a hard time. I guess you can say I can spot the asshole.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Hey typo, Said1's post has provided me with the word I was looking for when I read your post about the dog. Territorial. I think dogs are territorial rather than jealous. In my opinion, jealousy is a uniquely human emotion.

Said1, I'm don't think that modern man is territorial. I believe that instinct died out with the establishment of villages, towns, and cities. When we as a species moved into houses and communities, our territorial instinct shifted from individual interest to community and/or national interest. IMO.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Said1 View Post
    I think humans are territorial moreso than jealous.

I usually get a 'vibe' about someone and I've never been wrong. Perhaps it's just sensing competion, I'm not really sure. This extends to people in all situations. I can always tell who, in any given situation will be the one to give me a hard time. I guess you can say I can spot the asshole.

I have a tendency to do this, more when it's not so personal, but I've been wrong, too.
    But you just 'feel' that a certain person is trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick
    I think dogs are territorial rather than jealous. In my opinion, jealousy is a uniquely human emotion.
    I think you're right. Animals act on instinct therefore they don't know what jealousy is.

I think some instances of jealousy surface when a person is cognizant of the fact that they do not treat their partner well, that they could be a better person towards that individual.
    I understand what you're saying, but I think you are giving the perpetrator more credit than deserved. If they are capable of realizing they should be treating their partner better then that's what they should be doing and correct their behavior. Not get jealous.
    When they see that person interact with someone else, I have seen a tendency for feelings of insecurity and jealousy to surface. They realize that someone else could treat their partner better, make them happier, that there is a possibility they could lose that person and they behave in a jealous manner.
    Maybe. But you find this anywhere you go. There's always someone smarter, prettier, more handsome, funnier....when your partner interacts with another person you risk the chance of them finding that person they just 'click' with more than you. It's having faith in them that since they took a vow of eternal love, they will stay true to their word.
    Salvation is what we receive; not achieve.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Said1, I'm don't think that modern man is territorial. I believe that instinct died out with the establishment of villages, towns, and cities.
    IMO, that's just a more sophisticated version of territorial behavior. A man's home is still very much his castle, as the saying goes. Not many people live in communes where truly everything has to be shared.
    If you're worth less than $5 million and you vote for McCain, you're a loser.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyenne View Post
    So how did you do it?
    Pretty much the same way JD did it. I realized that I was worth it. If they didnt think so...oh well.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post

Said1, I'm don't think that modern man is territorial. I believe that instinct died out with the establishment of villages, towns, and cities. When we as a species moved into houses and communities, our territorial instinct shifted from individual interest to community and/or national interest. IMO.
    I think you're wrong. "Man's' territory is their home, among other things. Just like animals, humans can sniff out someone encrouching on their territory, if they try/pay attention etc. I think it's natural to want to protect your home and family (territory), although some take it to an abnormal extreme.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I've never been jealous, I don't know why. Oh I've been able to spot someone moving in on my date/mate/whatever we'll call it now. Just figured it was up to the 'guy' to decide what he was going to do with that. I'd be fine either way.

On the other hand, cheating is NOT something I'd tolerate, probably related. I guess I put the 'blame' or 'credit' on my partner, not the 'intruder' or myself.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I've never been jealous, I don't know why. Oh I've been able to spot someone moving in on my date/mate/whatever we'll call it now. Just figured it was up to the 'guy' to decide what he was going to do with that. I'd be fine either way.
    There are more than two ways, hon. Would you have said yes to a threesome?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

There are more than two ways, hon. Would you have said yes to a threesome?
    Nahhh, not my thing!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Said1 View Post
    I think you're wrong. "Man's' territory is their home, among other things. Just like animals, humans can sniff out someone encrouching on their territory, if they try/pay attention etc. I think it's natural to want to protect your home and family (territory), although some take it to an abnormal extreme.
    IMO, that's just a more sophisticated version of territorial behavior. A man's home is still very much his castle, as the saying goes. Not many people live in communes where truly everything has to be shared.
    I understand what you're saying, I guess I just don't feel territorial in that sense. At least I don't think I do. I suppose the only instance in which I would could be if I were being robbed. In that case I certainly would feel the urgent and territorial instinct to protect and defend what's mine.

However I think that jealousy and being territorial are two seperate, perhaps similar, feelings.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I've never been jealous, I don't know why..... I guess I put the 'blame' or 'credit' on my partner, not the 'intruder' or myself.
    I never understood when I'd hear someone say they were going to beat up the other guy "cause he was "stealin' my gal". What about the girl? She had much more responsibility than the 'other' guy. Or, "you know that's the way guys are"; like they don't know how to think.
    They don't ever seem to get upset with their partner. I can't figure that one out. Or is this just a willingness to close your eyes to the fact?
    Salvation is what we receive; not achieve.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyenne View Post
    I never understood when I'd hear someone say they were going to beat up the other guy "cause he was "stealin' my gal". What about the girl? She had much more responsibility than the 'other' guy.
    It comes purely from generations of belief that women were men's property. I expect there's still some "holdover" of that feeling on a gut level.