Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    The situations are different, which is why you made the choices you did on where to send her.
    I support vouchers too.

I think we agree on the importance of good solid primary education.

How to achieve it in this day IS the obstacle I'm afraid.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    I support vouchers too.

I think we agree on the importance of good solid primary education.

How to achieve it in this day IS the obstacle I'm afraid.
    I too am for vouchers, my problem is it's an in for the fed to take out what makes the private sector successful. way beyond choice of students. As I've posted numerous times, most private schools are in the financial bind of taking most that are tossed to us. Often these are students the public schools wish to label and put into certain cubbies. Sometimes we are a good alternative, mostly not.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I too am for vouchers, my problem is it's an in for the fed to take out what makes the private sector successful. way beyond choice of students. As I've posted numerous times, most private schools are in the financial bind of taking most that are tossed to us. Often these are students the public schools wish to label and put into certain cubbies. Sometimes we are a good alternative, mostly not.
    Interesting perspective on private. Here you must take tests to be accepted to private. Those that are tossed from public are tossed into what they call alternative school, which are also public.

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We sure don't want our children to grow up and end up working in a filed that doesn't require a degree or something ---like--BLUE COLLAR WORK

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dilloduck View Post
    We sure don't want our children to grow up and end up working in a filed that doesn't require a degree or something ---like--BLUE COLLAR WORK
    Can you believe it? Parents paying more than 4K per year, to mostly send their kids to private high schools at 8k per year. Then not go onto college?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just don't get it. Just what does this statement mean?

"High School Students must apply foir college!"

Just what does "foir" mean and why would anyone consider that High School students shouldn't apply for all that is available for them beyond High School?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychoblues View Post
    I just don't get it. Just what does this statement mean?

"High School Students must apply foir college!"

Just what does "foir" mean and why would anyone consider that High School students shouldn't apply for all that is available for them beyond High School?
    Holy shit, I made a typo. The O and the I are next to each other on the keyboard and I didn't proofread. Sue me.

The point here is the there was a law put forth that required all high school students to apply for college. Check the link.

Did I make any typographical errors this time?

AF
    "Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."

Mark Twain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, you guys are all correct. We don't need to have high standards. Tis why we rate at the bottom of the academic scale these days ya know? True some will always fail, can't help that. Some don't want much, can't help that...but with set high standards many more will succeed. With high standards even the so called failures will succeed. Imagine not having to SEARCH for an auto mechanic that "really" knows what he's doing.

You are totally missing the point. Should we require them to play sports? It will be good for them physically, since statistically the majority of them are overweight. Same thing. Just as ignorant to the real world.
    Sure, in a perfect world, all students will go to college, be successful, and go on to do whatever they want. But this is not that world. And the majority of automechanics I have knows have gotten their training through hands on experience, trade schools, or apprenticeships. Not college. Bad example. Do I want an accountant that knows what he is doing? Or a doctor? Yes. But no more that I want the guy installing my cable or phone to know what he is doing. Do they "need" to go to college? Or better yet, should they have been required to go? How many successfull people didn't go to college?

AF
    Last edited by AFbombloader; 01-18-2008 at 09:37 AM.
    "Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."

Mark Twain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if they are making them go to/apply college, then why don't thye just use those profile test and tell them what classes/majors/or even what jobs to take.

why can't we let ppl decide what is best for them? you make a kid do this when they don't want to and they will resent it and not try to accomplish anything. when they wanna go they will, and if they don't...then oh well. they are more than likely gonna have a job that needed to be done anyways. since apprently it is either illegals or magical fairies that give us everything to make our live easier.

and AF.....i think i jus might have to negative rep you for messing up when typing and making your thread title just so damn confusing that a re-re couldn't get it and felt like they had to point it out (way to stay on topic man! keep on truckin!) ...sad, sad day.
    Does Monkeybone have to choke a bitch?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AFbombloader View Post
    You are totally missing the point. Should we require them to play sports? It will be good for them physically, since statistically the majority of them are overweight. Same thing. Just as ignorant to the real world.
    Sure, in a perfect world, all students will go to college, be successful, and go on to do whatever they want. But this is not that world. And the majority of automechanics I have knows have gotten their training through hands on experience, trade schools, or apprenticeships. Not college. Bad example. Do I want an accountant that knows what he is doing? Or a doctor? Yes. But no more that I want the guy installing my cable or phone to know what he is doing. Do they "need" to go to college? Or better yet, should they have been required to go? How many successfull people didn't go to college?

AF
    I think you have missed my point. I'm saying a requirement to "be accepted" at a post-secondary school as a requirement for graduation is fine. That will produce a higher level of academic achievement/education across the board. I'm not suggesting everyone be forced to go to college. No, I don't think sports should be forced..that's NOT what schools are for, even though so many schools are judged by how good the football team is by so many.

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think you have missed my point. I'm saying a requirement to "be accepted" at a post-secondary school as a requirement for graduation is fine. That will produce a higher level of academic achievement/education across the board. I'm not suggesting everyone be forced to go to college. No, I don't think sports should be forced..that's NOT what schools are for, even though so many schools are judged by how good the football team is by so many.
    i think to produce higher higher levels of academic achievement/education, they need to start being a bit tougher on the kids. they don't learn anything when the current education system passes kids to the next grade when they shouldn't cuz "no one should be left behind" or "don't want them to feel stupid". when i read papers from sixth graders that are full of spelling errors that they should've learned in the 3rd or 4th grade, it's sad. i feel like they are cheating these kids when they basically "let them pass" a grade. this even goes along with when they give trophies to everyone. can't hurt anyones feelings and such. don't make the winner special, since he worked harder or anything. they are namy-pamby to these kids and then wonder why they have such a had time adjusting to real life when failure isn't exactly accepted with a pat on the back.

just my two cents/rant.
    Does Monkeybone have to choke a bitch?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, I get your point. But to require someone to be accepted to a college as part of graduation requirement will not create "a higher level of academic achievement". How can it? I think requireing anything accross the board, in most circumstances, is not smart. Every young person is different. Not all want the same thing. How can this be a requirement? I see you saying 'accepted doesn't mean the have to go" but do you seriously believe that? I know 17-18 year olds from my recruiting days. The majority of hs seniors you ask will say they are going to college. But many do not because the do not qualify or realize they shouldn't for one reason or another. This is going to give students something else to worry about when they really need to figure out what next step to take. And for many, it should not be college.

AF

Mark Twain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default High School Students must apply foir college!

Maybe now they'll know how to spell simple words like "for!"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AFbombloader View Post
    No, I get your point. But to require someone to be accepted to a college as part of graduation requirement will not create "a higher level of academic achievement". How can it? I think requireing anything accross the board, in most circumstances, is not smart. Every young person is different. Not all want the same thing. How can this be a requirement? I see you saying 'accepted doesn't mean the have to go" but do you seriously believe that? I know 17-18 year olds from my recruiting days. The majority of hs seniors you ask will say they are going to college. But many do not because the do not qualify or realize they shouldn't for one reason or another. This is going to give students something else to worry about when they really need to figure out what next step to take. And for many, it should not be college.

AF
    I never said it "should" be college as in a four year degree ...but POST-SECONDARY. Tech, Community or University/College.

As far as being accepted and not going...do I believe that? Yes.

As far as a student worrying about this..that doesn't hold water for me. It would be a requirement and make any 'next step' whatever that may be, much easier.

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I never said it "should" be college as in a four year degree ...but POST-SECONDARY. Tech, Community or University/College.

As far as being accepted and not going...do I believe that? Yes.

As far as a student worrying about this..that doesn't hold water for me. It would be a requirement and make any 'next step' whatever that may be, much easier.
    Again, I don't see the value in making this a requirement. If something like this goes through, what is next? What other requirements are waiting in line. Let the students decide what they want to do. Making them get accepted when they have no desire to attend is assinine.

AF

Mark Twain