Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default US Marine accused of raping 14 yo girl in Japan

Another scandle involving a US marine. The marines have been in the news a lot lately. First the guy who killed that pregnant girl, then the two cities, now this.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080211/...juj9sF.9lvzwcF

TOKYO - A U.S. Marine accused of raping a 14-year-old girl in southern Japan was arrested Monday, police said, stirring memories of a rape of a Japanese girl by U.S. troops over a decade ago.

Police took custody of Staff Sgt. Tyrone Luther Hadnott, 38, of Camp Courtney in Okinawa, an Okinawa police official said on condition of anonymity citing policy. Hadnott, who has denied the allegations, has not been charged.

Under a mutual security pact, the United States has about 50,000 troops deployed around Japan. Most of them are based on Okinawa and tensions over potential accidents, land use and troop-related crimes are common.

In 1995, the rape of a schoolgirl in Okinawa by three American servicemen sparked large-scale protests. The three served prison terms of six and a half to seven years.

"This is extremely regrettable," said Japanese Foreign Minister Masahiko Komura of Monday's arrest. Komura said the government asked Washington to tighten discipline among its troop based in Japan to prevent such crimes in the future. Tokyo has made similar requests in the past.

Hadnott, whose hometown has not been identified, is alleged to have offered to take the girl to her home on his motorbike on Sunday, but instead took her to his house, another local police official told The Associated Press.

When the girl started crying, he said he would drive her home, but he is accused of then raping her in a car, the official said, also speaking on condition of anonymity in line with policy.

Hadnott told investigators he forced the girl down and kissed her, but that he did not rape her, the official said.

Lt. Gen. Bruce Wright, commander of U.S. Forces in Japan, said the U.S. was aware of the "serious allegations in Okinawa."

"(We) are closely monitoring the situation while fully cooperating with Japanese officials," Wright said in a statement. "If the allegations are true, our hearts are with the victim and family."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

You know its funny the media doesn't bring to light anyone else who is part of some group. I mean we dont hear "another business man went to Thialand to have sex with underage children". Hey have it be a service member and the media is all over it. With the number of service personel in the US, the number that commit these types of crimes is statisticly non-existant. This is what amazes me the most whenever it involves a military person it has to be sensationalized.

So with this story can we believe that the media will now report in the following way.

1. "Another murder committed by a black man"
    2. "Another hit-and-run committed by a hispanic male"
    3. "Another corportation run into the ground by a white dude"
    4. "Another drunken indian kills family"
    5. etc....etc....etc...

I think you see where I am going with this. This guy was a piece of shit first and a military person second.
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post
    You know its funny the media doesn't bring to light anyone else who is part of some group. I mean we dont hear "another business man went to Thialand to have sex with underage children". Hey have it be a service member and the media is all over it. With the number of service personel in the US, the number that commit these types of crimes is statisticly non-existant. This is what amazes me the most whenever it involves a military person it has to be sensationalized.

So with this story can we believe that the media will now report in the following way.

5. etc....etc....etc...

I think you see where I am going with this. This guy was a piece of shit first and a military person second.
    that right there is the main thing. no matter what you make a guy wear, what training he has, how disciplined he is, or where he comes from....it comes right down to the person. the military is his job. not like they trained him to rape young girls.
    Does Monkeybone have to choke a bitch?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

This guy was a piece of shit first and a military person second.
    This is the point that so many are quick to ignore. Instead, they seem to lay the problem at the feet of military mindset.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the number that commit these types of crimes is statisticly non-existant. This is what amazes me the most whenever it involves a military person it has to be sensationalized.
    That is why it's sensationalized. Rare = makes the news. Plus it has deeper connotation then just a regular rape. This could hurt relations with the Japanese people and their willingness to have US troops on their soil. Just like what happened when the tank accidentally ran over a Korean girl. It's not really reasonable but popular sentiment goes along when it comes to countries tolerating foreign troops stationed in their country.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

actually Japan wants the Marines out before this even happened. that is one of the reasons alot of them are transferring to Guam. this is just icing on the cake.
    Does Monkeybone have to choke a bitch?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

5. etc....etc....etc...

The first part is spot on. The second part is speculation until the Court Martial is over.

I was over there when the big rape of the 90's occured. It was a witch hunt. It impacts relations and forces the USA to grant concessions. If the guy is found guilty I will cheerfully go back on active duty to castrate him with a gen-u-wine USMC K-bar.
    I'm Phil -- 40 something heterosexual white male, fairly self sufficient, great with my kids, wed 29 years to the same woman, and I firmly believe that ones actions have logical consequences. How much more out the box can you get nowadays? -- MSgt of Marines (ret)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

tensions over potential accidents, land use and troop-related crimes are common.
    one instance since 1995 out of 50,000 troops?.......I would say not very common at all......
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In other news. One scandal right after another. Military is gettin hammered in the media in regards to crimes/rape. These type stories come out every month.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=11833

Air Force colonel faces sex/rape charges

WICHITA FALLS, Texas - Two women, civilian workers at Sheppard Air Force Base, testified at a military hearing Monday that an Air Force colonel sexually assaulted them, and one said he raped her.

One woman testified that Col. Samuel Lofton III forcibly kissed her and put her hand on his genitals and another time raped her, each time after everyone had gone home for the day.

She said after Lofton raped her, he asked whether he could keep her pantyhose as a souvenir.

"I said, 'What are you thinking? Monica Lewinsky?'" she testified, saying she then threw the hose at him.

The testimony came on the opening day of Lofton's Article 32 hearing, which is similar to civilian grand jury proceedings, to determine whether there is enough evidence to send the case to a court-martial.

Lofton is charged with rape, being absent without leave, 20 counts of larceny, four counts of indecent assault, two counts of dereliction of duty and two counts of conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman. If he goes to trial and is convicted, Lofton faces a maximum penalty of life in a military prison.

Lofton's attorneys declined to comment after the hearing, which is to resume Tuesday.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Come back when there is a conviction. Until then it's just more sensationalizing.
    I'm Phil -- 40 something heterosexual white male, fairly self sufficient, great with my kids, wed 29 years to the same woman, and I firmly believe that ones actions have logical consequences. How much more out the box can you get nowadays? -- MSgt of Marines (ret)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If it makes the news I will. All news is sensationalizing, that's how they make their money.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In 1968 I was taught in basic training that 14 was legal meat. The civilians might be appalled but the UCMJ was on my side on that issue.
    Last edited by Psychoblues; 02-12-2008 at 01:12 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychoblues View Post
    In 1968 I was taught in basic training that 14 was legal meat. The civilians might be appalled but the USMJ was on my side on that issue.
    USMJ huh....basic must have been interesting....http://www.usmjparty.com/

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Figure it for yourself, m'59. 14 was the age of consent back then according to the UCMJ. The civilian courts always deferred to the military jurisdiction. Go figure?!?!!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychoblues View Post
    Figure it for yourself, m'59. 14 was the age of consent back then according to the UCMJ. The civilian courts always deferred to the military jurisdiction. Go figure?!?!!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?

depended on the country....

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus