Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
The rifle range at Edson Range, Camp Pendleton, is a metric range. 500 meters is roughly equal to 560 yards. IIRC, the scores required on the metric range are 186 MM, 206-215 SS, and 217-250 Ex. The rest of the ranges as far as I know are "KD" (known distance) -- yards.

If you were a match shooter, I think you're low-rate yourself. On the aforementioned history channel special, a guy recreates the shots. Easily.
I saw that one where he shot a watermelon in a moving limousine. Too tough for me. I coached at Camp Margarita at camp Pendleton from Feb. 60 until Feb 61. Then I went to Moffett Field as an M.P. The only thing I shot there was skeet with a 12 gauge. One of my most memorial moments was in 1960 when I fired 248 for record. One of the perks when you fired 3 years expert, you get a bar that goes on (added to) the expert badge. If you have it and stand inspection, nobody takes your rifle. It's just a courtesy. The barrel could be full of mud and nobody would know it. I filed all that in the old memory bank under "Good Old Days".