Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default why is it so hard to fathom that the democratic party is not this pure

snow white party

fdr interned 100,000 japanese, so you think the party was above the allegation of being racist until the 1960's?

I already made a post about it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

why point to the past actions when you can look to present ones?
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by actsnoblemartin View Post
    The story of your life on here.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not an applicable arguement.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by actsnoblemartin View Post
    snow white party

fdr interned 100,000 japanese, so you think the party was above the allegation of being racist until the 1960's?

it is well known and fully understood and accepted by the democratic party, that their roots lie in southern slavery and racism. no one has ever suggested that we were above the allegation of racism until the 60's. where did you EVER get such an idea in the first place.

The fact is, starting in 1948 and moving on until now, we have tried hard to rid ourselves of southern (and northern) racist vestiges. Obviously, black Americans think we've done a pretty good job. We went from being the party of lynching and Jim Crow laws to the party that a HUGE majority of black Americans now associate themselves with and vote for.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manfrommaine View Post
    We went from being the party of lynching and Jim Crow laws to the party that a HUGE majority of black Americans now associate themselves with and vote for.
    Why do you suppose they now support the Democratic party in such numbers?
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

it is well known and fully understood and accepted by the democratic party, that their roots lie in southern slavery and racism. no one has ever suggested that we were above the allegation of racism until the 60's. where did you EVER get such an idea in the first place.

The fact is, starting in 1948 and moving on until now, we have tried hard to rid ourselves of southern (and northern) racist vestiges. Obviously, black Americans think we've done a pretty good job. We went from being the party of lynching and Jim Crow laws to the party that a HUGE majority of black Americans now associate themselves with and vote for.
    The reason blacks vote Democratic is the same reason Puerto Ricans vote Democratic... The Democrats send more money to us poor folks is what my neighbor told me. The Democratic Party spent the missing trillions of Social Security money to fund black folks... oh, and Puerto Ricans too! Trillions! My neighbor said I'd be stupid to vote Republican because they want to cut the free stuff.
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    ---Thomas Jefferson (or as Al Sharpton calls him: Grandpappy)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it's safe to say that political parties tend to change a tad over the course of more than a century.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Classact View Post
    The reason blacks vote Democratic is the same reason Puerto Ricans vote Democratic... The Democrats send more money to us poor folks is what my neighbor told me. The Democratic Party spent the missing trillions of Social Security money to fund black folks... oh, and Puerto Ricans too! Trillions! My neighbor said I'd be stupid to vote Republican because they want to cut the free stuff.
    and your neighbor somehow speaks for the entire black population of america? who IS this guy?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Why do you suppose they now support the Democratic party in such numbers?
    ummm ... because we aren't racists anymore?

why do YOU suppose? Oh wait...let me guess....it's because they are all shiftless poor lazy unemployed folks who jes LOVE dat welfare! Isn't that what YOU think?

I would suggest, alternatively, that, just maybe, black americans KNOW that republicans like classact really DO see them that way and THAT realization might have something to do with their democratic voting record....doncha think?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

ummm ... because we aren't racists anymore?

why do YOU suppose?
    I honestly don't know, that's why I asked.

Oh wait...let me guess....it's because they are all shiftless poor lazy unemployed folks who jes LOVE dat welfare! Isn't that what YOU think?
    No, I don't think that at all. While the numbers of the unemployed and poor tilt higher towards minorities, there are high numbers of whites in the statistics as well. To that end, however, I wonder what the political affiliation of most unemployed and poor whites might be.

I do not believe that race is indicative of one's work ethic. I know many Mexicans, Guatemalans, El Salvadorans, and Blacks who work harder than I do.

I would suggest, alternatively, that, just maybe, black americans KNOW that republicans like classact really DO see them that way and THAT realization might have something to do with their democratic voting record....doncha think?
    You could very well have a point here, though I am not convinced that this is the truth. I am not convinced that the majority of Republicans see blacks the way you have stereotyped them.

All that being said, can you honestly say that the perception that Democrats are far more likely to introduce new and fund existing entitlement programs for the poor and underprivileged is not a factor in their support among the poor? I can honestly say that, were I to find myself upon hard times and down and out, I would be looking for a candidate who promised me a hand up. It's human nature.

I'm not sure that it can't be considered a factor, especially when some Republicans talk about cutting funding and programs many depend on, whether temporarily or on an extended basis.

I do not believe this is the only reason for the support the Democrats see in the Black voting block, but I do not think it can be ignored as a facotr, either.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

At least no one was tortured in the Japanese internment camps. You can't say that about the modern internment camps.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    I honestly don't know, that's why I asked.
    Mick...I don't disagree with much that you've said. I am proud that my party is the one who tries hard to not let people slip into homelessness and poverty. I am glad my party thinks it is appropriate to provide a hand up (and not necessarily a hand out) to those less fortunate Americans. If that spirit resonates with poor voters or with black voters, that is fine with me. That spirit resonates with ME and with all of my family (except for my one dittohead conservative brother)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mick...I don't disagree with much that you've said. I am proud that my party is the one who tries hard to not let people slip into homelessness and poverty. I am glad my party thinks it is appropriate to provide a hand up (and not necessarily a hand out) to those less fortunate Americans. If that spirit resonates with poor voters or with black voters, that is fine with me. That spirit resonates with ME and with all of my family (except for my one dittohead conservative brother)
    What's the difference between a hand out and a hand up?

Ya know I don't mind there being a safety net for people either. God knows there's plenty of times when people need it, due to no actions of their own, like Hurricane Katrina. But when you have democrats wanting to give practically carte blanche benefits to illegal aliens, but are unwilling to even include legal American citizens in those same benefits, there's something drastically wrong.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The problem is that the whole system for Social Security is so screwed up, even without the programs for illegals (which is just wrong, I'm sorry, but I would never expect that, were I to slip illegally into Mexico, that the Mexican government is supposed to help me out with food and housing), the programs that are supposed to be there to help people often end up excluding exactly the people they are supposed to help, and at the same time, aid people the program was never intended for.

Example from my own life, my parents divorced after 20 years of marriage (trust me, all three of us kids were happy to see that happen), and my dad moved back down to NYC for his job (he'd been commuting for a while between there and Albany). Now, in New York, there was a program in place so that corporate wives could get financial assistance so that they wouldn't lose their homes. Well, of all things, my mother got denied because she had a job (hospice, not precisely a high yield thing), and had this thought that it was supposed to be help. She either had to quit her job, and live off the system, or she had to work completely insane hours to pay for it.

There was no room in the program for people who actually only wanted *help*, not have it done for them. My mother ended up losing the house, but wait here's the kicker: A pregnant 19-year-old girl in the waiting room, who had never been married, got the assitance through that program, a program that specifically included my mother, not her.