Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    The very act of entering the U.S. without the proper authorization establishes them as criminals. The very first act performed by illegal aliens is to break our laws, thus the moniker "illegal" aliens. They may very well be able to work legitimate jobs once they get here, but that does not negate the fact that they are illegally in the country and in violation of the law. That makes the criminals from the word "go."
    This is a technical criminality. It's not as if they're raping, thieving and murdering their way into our country. It harms no one it's just technically illegal. Most of them are good people just trying to make a better life for themselves the easiest way they know how. They cross an invisible line into a place with jobs where they can make money to support their families. (shrug) It's sad that a guy who pretends to be "laid back" like Jimmy Buffet can't understand that these people are just trying to survive the best they can.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If jail was a zero cost to taxpayers then it would not be a problem how many people are in jail but a concern of those families that have relatives there.

I suggest that jail should be punishment and that it should sustain itself and all associated costs of its operation. This can easily be accomplished through using jails as food production for themselves and poor within the state. Using prison labor to produce electricity even if they have to walk 16 hours a day in a squirrel cage. Jobs in jail should support good behavior and those who behave well should be learning and then educating neighborhoods they came from as part of their punishment.

Put the law violators knee deep in pig shit and let them live in the loft over cows to keep warm in the winter... no TV, no creature comforts at all without good behavior. Want electricity then get on a bicycle hooked up to a generator and start pumping.
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    ---Thomas Jefferson (or as Al Sharpton calls him: Grandpappy)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
    It's sad that a guy who pretends to be "laid back" like Jimmy Buffet can't understand that these people are just trying to survive the best they can.

he wants them to stay down there and make more tequila! derr!

no offense HJ. i love you....does that sound gay? uh...i mean...i love you post! on here! what you say! ahhh!
    Does Monkeybone have to choke a bitch?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Classact View Post
    If jail was a zero cost to taxpayers then it would not be a problem how many people are in jail but a concern of those families that have relatives there.

I suggest that jail should be punishment and that it should sustain itself and all associated costs of its operation. This can easily be accomplished through using jails as food production for themselves and poor within the state. Using prison labor to produce electricity even if they have to walk 16 hours a day in a squirrel cage. Jobs in jail should support good behavior and those who behave well should be learning and then educating neighborhoods they came from as part of their punishment.

Put the law violators knee deep in pig shit and let them live in the loft over cows to keep warm in the winter... no TV, no creature comforts at all without good behavior. Want electricity then get on a bicycle hooked up to a generator and start pumping.
    sadly, i see nothing wrong with that. make them work for it and they will aprreciate it more. i know that around here Prof's from the local college teach with their free time, trying to help the guys get degrees.

and heck, the ones that can talk just fine, make them call support instead of someone who you have to say "huh?" all of the time
    Does Monkeybone have to choke a bitch?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Wow, very nice. I guess it's not possible that the majority of illegal aliens come here to work legitimate jobs and not to commit crimes. No way Jose! It would downright rational to say something like that!
    The majority come here to work legitimate jobs and not to commit crimes? I believe they committed a crime by just coming here illegally to start, and how do they work legitimately when they are here illegally?
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

This is a technical criminality. It's not as if they're raping, thieving and murdering their way into our country. It harms no one it's just technically illegal.
    Then every single person convicted of possession of drugs for personal use should be pardoned. Anyone speeding on a road with no other cars or people around should not receive a ticket. I could list tons of laws on our books that are enforced daily where no one is technically "harmed" when violating them. We should take these laws out of the system?
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

This is a technical criminality. It's not as if they're raping, thieving and murdering their way into our country. It harms no one it's just technically illegal. Most of them are good people just trying to make a better life for themselves the easiest way they know how. They cross an invisible line into a place with jobs where they can make money to support their families. (shrug) It's sad that a guy who pretends to be "laid back" like Jimmy Buffet can't understand that these people are just trying to survive the best they can.
    I understand it, completely. I even sympathize with their plight. I have known more than one illegal immigrant (in California it's damn near impossible not to cross paths with them on a daily basis) and have even worked with a few. One in particular I respect immensely. He came to this country from El Salvador, leaving his family behind. Once here he worked tirelessly to obtain legal status and bring his family to the U.S. He succeeded. I loved talking with him, joking with him, working with him, and being around him made me a better person. His son came to work for the company and he, too, was a wonderful person. I loved them like brothers and the day they moved to Arkansas was one of the saddest I have had here at work. I have not respected any of my coworkers more than I did those two gentlemen. Their work ethic was and still is unparalleled.

Just because I'm laid back doesn't mean I advocate allowing the free flow of illegal immigration, and just because I am opposed to illegal immigration does not mean that I do not understand or sympathize with the plight of those who seek refuge within our borders. Ultimately, it is the responsibility of their native countries to address the needs of it's people, the needs that stimulate the influx we see here of illegal immigrants. I do not single out Mexico and the central American nations as the only source of concern, though they are the greatest source of this flood of humanity. They must confront and fix the problems that have lead to their biggest export being human beings, this will benefit not only them, but us as well.

I do not believe that we will be able to completely eliminate people from entering this country illegally, America is a great country full of hope and opportunity. It always has been and continues to be so, despite what others may say. But the idea that we can just ignore the issue and think that it has no ill effect I believe is misguided. I believe that immigration is part of the life blood of this country, both historically and for it's future, but I think it should be done legally as much as possible and I believe that illegal immigration should be eliminated as best as we can.

That doesn't make me unsympathetic. That doesn't mean I don't understand the problems that motivate the migration.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Then every single person convicted of possession of drugs for personal use should be pardoned. Anyone speeding on a road with no other cars or people around should not receive a ticket. I could list tons of laws on our books that are enforced daily where no one is technically "harmed" when violating them. We should take these laws out of the system?
    I think every single person convicted of possession of drugs for personal use should be pardoned. I also think a person speeding on a deserted road should not be given a ticket. I think police officers should make judgements based on circumstances instead of being mindless buzzkills. Have you ever eased through a light at 3:00 in the morning when there was no one around? Do you deserve a ticket for doing that? Hell no you don't. And neither do I. But if a cop saw you doing it he'd ruin your day because "derr, it's his duty to enfarce the law."
    Last edited by Hagbard Celine; 02-29-2008 at 11:55 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

I think every single person convicted of possession of drugs for personal use should be pardoned. I also think a person speeding on a deserted road should not be given a ticket. I think police officers should make judgements based on circumstances instead of being mindless buzzkills. Have you ever eased through a light at 3:00 in the morning when there was no one around? Do you deserve a ticket for doing that? Hell no you don't. And neither do I. But if a cop saw you doing it he'd ruin your day because "derr, it's his duty to enfarce the law."
    I'm with you on the drugs, they should all be legal. The "war on drugs" is a farce and a waste of money that could best be applied elsewhere. I'm probably with you on the traffic stuff too, but I'm asleep at 3:00am so I don't really care.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I think every single person convicted of possession of drugs for personal use should be pardoned. I also think a person speeding on a deserted road should not be given a ticket. I think police officers should make judgements based on circumstances instead of being mindless buzzkills. Have you ever eased through a light a 3:00 in the morning when there was no one around? Do you deserve a ticket for doing that? Hell no you don't. And neither do I. But if a cop saw you doing it he'd ruin your day because "derr, it's his duty to enfarce the law."
    My beliefs on the stupidity of certain infractions don't change the fact that we have laws on the books for a reason. These laws do have varying degrees of severity, but all in all they make this a better nation for all. Same goes for illegals entering this country. While you may see it as only "technically" illegal, there are reasons for these laws. All would be fine if they would simply follow the laws of the country they are trying to enter, but their illegal activities cost our country billions of dollars - and guess who foots the bill? That's right, us taxpayers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My beliefs on the stupidity of certain infractions don't change the fact that we have laws on the books for a reason. These laws do have varying degrees of severity, but all in all they make this a better nation for all. Same goes for illegals entering this country. While you may see it as only "technically" illegal, there are reasons for these laws. All would be fine if they would simply follow the laws of the country they are trying to enter, but their illegal activities cost our country billions of dollars - and guess who foots the bill? That's right, us taxpayers.
    Our taxes go to pay for plenty of other ridiculous bs. The least of our concerns is the tax money "wasted" on educating the kids of an illegal alien. I don't think "illegals" are the ones cramming our prisons anyway. When illegals are caught, they're deported. They don't go to prison here in the US do they? If they do that's the first thing that needs to be fixed.
    Back to the "prisons" discussion, I just think it's a damn shame that the prisons are so overcrowded that a rapist can be paroled just to make room for a guy caught with a pound of weed. To me that's the crime.
    Fixing the problem begins with education of the people. Education leads to better decision-making. Better decision-making leads to lower crime levels.
    Last edited by Hagbard Celine; 02-29-2008 at 12:05 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The majority come here to work legitimate jobs and not to commit crimes? I believe they committed a crime by just coming here illegally to start, and how do they work legitimately when they are here illegally?
    yes it is a crime to come here illegally....but a crime that is about eqivilant to one of us Jay-walking....not certain people get put in jail for Jay-walking?

the law on the books is very weak and lenient and not worth much imo....when it comes to entering our country illegally....having a joint on you would get you more prison time...depending on the state.

jd

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
    yes it is a crime to come here illegally....but a crime that is about eqivilant to one of us Jay-walking....not certain people get put in jail for Jay-walking?

the law on the books is very weak and lenient and not worth much imo....when it comes to entering our country illegally....having a joint on you would get you more prison time...depending on the state.

jd
    First offender drug possession for personal use never results in jail time unless there is a more serious crime involved.

The crime for illegal immigrants should be working without authorization... a felony tax evasion. The crime is equal for the employer.. tax evasion and violating other US federal and state laws.

Entering the country without a visa is not a serious crime but evading tax should be.
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    ---Thomas Jefferson (or as Al Sharpton calls him: Grandpappy)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

. Poor minorities don't get a lot of chances to go to good universities and get high-paying jobs. ."
    I completely disagree with your statement.

I would say it's probably harder for middle income people to send their kids to school than low income, simply because the middle class doesn't get any brake on tuition or books because of the income of the parents. There are gov. grants and programs in MANY states that offer a FREE education if the families make below a certain amount.

meanwhile the middle class parents are expected to completely pay college costs and hope to get a scholership or two to help them out.

If kids turn to selling drugs IMO it has more to do with environment that the lack of gov. programs to get them yet more free stuff.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

What's to ponder? If people have jobs they have something to do and money in their pocket. Less time and no need to commit crimes.

Education leads to higher skilled laborers and better decision makers. No duh. You'd think the guys in Washington holding down the ivory towers would've figured this out by now.
    Here in Houston, on any weekend, you can depend on a number of murders and numerous more fights that result in stabbings outside of predominately hispanic and black clubs. The names in the newspaper make it obvious. Add to that, plenty of DUIs that result in death are attributed to hispanic named individuals each weekend. These are your hardworking, hard partying hispanics.

Education isn't hard to get, if one wants to they could learn almost anything on their own for the cost of a library card.
    Last edited by Sitarro; 02-29-2008 at 01:02 PM.
    No matter where I've traveled or how great the trip was, it's always wonderful to return to my country, The United States of America......... me