Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Why is compassion replacing common sense in the illegal alien debate?
    Because, at it's heart, America is a compassionate country, as are it's citizens. We always have been. From the start when some sought the freedom to worship, to the days when we opened our shores and pleaded, "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me..." These ideas are the bedrock of this country. The compassion to accept anyone and everyone, to give them a chance, and with that to help build this nation into what it is now and what it will be. Even to day our compassion overflows. No greater example of this is the amount of foreign aid distributed around the globe, the aid we send in times of natural disasters. Compassion abounds in the U.S. and it always will, perhaps to fault. As much as most of know just how detrimental illegal immigration can be, we see in the faces of those who come here illegally the embodiment of the words engraved on the Statue of Liberty. We understand why they come. We understand the risks they take to come here. We feel for them. This is why compassion so often usurps common sense in the illegal immigration debate. Because it is at our core. it is who we as Americans are. It is one of many things that make this country great.

It may be the wrong way to approach the problem, but I'm not sure it is something that will change anytime soon.

Remember, the measure if a country's greatness can be determined by the number of people trying to get in.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pegwinn View Post
    I don't worry about generations. My Grandfather on Dads side was a Marine in WWI. My Dad was in WWII, Korea, & Vietnam. I am no more an American than someone who just got naturalized.

My beef is with the folks here illegally. Period.

BTW, kids born here are citizens. I don't care if Mom and Dad are illegal alien cattle rustling dope smokin communist pigs. When we deport Mom and Dad they can take thier lil American Citizen with them. At 18, I will welcome the citizen back with open arms.
    I respect you peg... so we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. No way is baby born to illegal aliens magically legal in my eyes. Mommy and daddy have business here, and niether does the baby. Take it back where it belongs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Microcosmos View Post
    :yawn: Oh, I'm sorry. Was that supposed to stir some kind of emotional reaction? Exxagerating the threat to life as we know it is a little much, no? Look, I'm not trying to say that illegal immigration isn't a problem. It is. But most are trying to become legal citizens, the path to citizenship isn't instant you know. As for posting factual information, my stepmother, and therefore half of my family, is directly from Cuba or of Cuban descent. It took my tío ("uncle" for the non-wetbacks) about twenty years to gain full citizenship, but he wrked hard and paid taxes and committed no crimes the entire time. My cousins and stepbrothers have full Cuban blood but are American citizens. There are some facts, based on personal experience, for you. I have spent much of my childhood and all of my adult life learning about Latino culture and history. I don't claim to know it all or to have all the answers, but to let a thread like this go by so one-sided doesn't sit well with me.
    You bet yer ass it was supposed to invoke an emotional reaction. Unfortunately it didn't, and I see why. You have south of the border relatives. No matter. That's all fine and dandy. I like mexico. I've been there many, many times and even consider retiring down there. However, this whole debate is not about who or where you're from, it's about the "LAW." There is a "legal" way to come to this great country, and there is an "illegal" way to come this country. I don't have a problem at all with every single person that comes here legally. I would even encourage it. But the sons a bitch that SNEAKS in here, and then BLEEDS MY COUNTRY DRY and MARCHES IN THE STREETS DEMANDING RIGHTS... I'll tell ya what... I'd like to fucking shoot the whole lot dead in their tracks right then and there. Not only are they here illegally, they're going to march in MY streets and DEMAND that I GIVE them RIGHTS? FUCK THAT! There isn't a bigger travesty anywhere else on EARTH! I don't like it, and the majority of Americans don't like it. We want the illegals GONE... PERIOD! It is not a good situation, and most every time the people that argue in favor of the illegals, like yourself, have relatives of hispanic descent. Well sorry, but that doesn't give you any right to usurp our laws. You want to come here, do it legally or get the hell out. It's as simple as that, and that's no exaggeration.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

English was established as the official language of America (and I'll include other countries in that name when they make it a part of their countries name, too), in Amendment 4064 in 2006.

Making Illegals legal across the board is an insult to those that do it legally, much akin to equating the thief in your house to one who was invited for dinner or given a gift.

Only about half the illegals in this country come Innitially from Mexico, although it's an easy way for others to get in. Sure we're all transplants... genetically. But for people to stream across our borders and scream that we're not doing enough to accomodate them, not even learning the national language...

But since Mexico seem to be making most of the noise, I have an Idea. We could make Mexico a Territory: they'd have to obey our laws, maybe overwhelm their own schools and hospitals (but they could do it in Spanish, there), then maybe the Billions we send them in aid could bring their own corrupt government to heel instead of their lawmen being seduced by the drugthugs...

But the question is illegal immigrants, isn't it? There's a great film called "Immigratin Gumballs", it has to do with overwhelming the lifeboat. At which point, we all drown. BTW, the breadbasket of the world, US, is now importing wheat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Juantew View Post
    English was established as the official language of America (and I'll include other countries in that name when they make it a part of their countries name, too), in Amendment 4064 in 2006.

Making Illegals legal across the board is an insult to those that do it legally, much akin to equating the thief in your house to one who was invited for dinner or given a gift.

Only about half the illegals in this country come Innitially from Mexico, although it's an easy way for others to get in. Sure we're all transplants... genetically. But for people to stream across our borders and scream that we're not doing enough to accomodate them, not even learning the national language...

But since Mexico seem to be making most of the noise, I have an Idea. We could make Mexico a Territory: they'd have to obey our laws, maybe overwhelm their own schools and hospitals (but they could do it in Spanish, there), then maybe the Billions we send them in aid could bring their own corrupt government to heel instead of their lawmen being seduced by the drugthugs...

But the question is illegal immigrants, isn't it? There's a great film called "Immigratin Gumballs", it has to do with overwhelming the lifeboat. At which point, we all drown. BTW, the breadbasket of the world, US, is now importing wheat.
    the rest of your post was good. i can't believe this is true.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    I respect you peg... so we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. No way is baby born to illegal aliens magically legal in my eyes. Mommy and daddy have business here, and niether does the baby. Take it back where it belongs.
    The respect is mutual. And disagreement is good in some cases. I mean, if everyone always agreed with me, it would get boring real quick.

My opinion is based on the Constitution. If I am willing to stand up for my right to bear arms, or tell a congress critter to kiss my ass, or to simply be left alone by the fed...... I have to stand up for others Constitutional rights as well.

This aint like abortion where someone had to find it within the inviso ink. A person born here is an American Citizen and that is set in stone until the 14th amendment is repealed.

Didja notice I still said to deport Ma and Pa the illegal alien? The kid can stay here with other citizens, or go with Ma and Pa and come back at age 18.

C'ya
    I'm Phil -- 40 something heterosexual white male, fairly self sufficient, great with my kids, wed 29 years to the same woman, and I firmly believe that ones actions have logical consequences. How much more out the box can you get nowadays? -- MSgt of Marines (ret)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    You bet yer ass it was supposed to invoke an emotional reaction. Unfortunately it didn't, and I see why. You have south of the border relatives. No matter. That's all fine and dandy. I like mexico. I've been there many, many times and even consider retiring down there. However, this whole debate is not about who or where you're from, it's about the "LAW." There is a "legal" way to come to this great country, and there is an "illegal" way to come this country. I don't have a problem at all with every single person that comes here legally. I would even encourage it. But the sons a bitch that SNEAKS in here, and then BLEEDS MY COUNTRY DRY and MARCHES IN THE STREETS DEMANDING RIGHTS... I'll tell ya what... I'd like to fucking shoot the whole lot dead in their tracks right then and there. Not only are they here illegally, they're going to march in MY streets and DEMAND that I GIVE them RIGHTS? FUCK THAT! There isn't a bigger travesty anywhere else on EARTH! I don't like it, and the majority of Americans don't like it. We want the illegals GONE... PERIOD! It is not a good situation, and most every time the people that argue in favor of the illegals, like yourself, have relatives of hispanic descent. Well sorry, but that doesn't give you any right to usurp our laws. You want to come here, do it legally or get the hell out. It's as simple as that, and that's no exaggeration.
    I was getting ready to post something, but, it looked, and sounded just like Pales.

Great post Pale...........
    If ya can't prove it, don't say it.
    Bikes, babes, and beer, it don't get no better than that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    the rest of your post was good. i can't believe this is true.
    Yurt; Thanks, this is my first post. Check out
    WWW.ers.usda.gov./Data/wheat/YBtable23.asp

One of the things that got me is how much more we seem to be importing, year by year.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=Juantew;214898]English was established as the official language of America (and I'll include other countries in that name when they make it a part of their countries name, too), in Amendment 4064 in 2006.QUOTE]

Um, maybe someone should tell that one to the folks who are still trying to make English the official language of the United States.

http://www.us-english.org/
    Sean

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default English not official yet

Sean

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=Microcosmos;215101]
    Quote Originally Posted by Juantew View Post
    English was established as the official language of America (and I'll include other countries in that name when they make it a part of their countries name, too), in Amendment 4064 in 2006.QUOTE]

Um, maybe someone should tell that one to the folks who are still trying to make English the official language of the United States.

http://www.us-english.org/
    Yes, they should.

Snopes.com/politics/immigration/englishvote.asp

They voted it in, then voted to contradict themselves, essentially, even though it is legally the "official and common and unifying language of the USA<

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Because, at it's heart, America is a compassionate country, as are it's citizens. We always have been. From the start when some sought the freedom to worship, to the days when we opened our shores and pleaded, "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me..." These ideas are the bedrock of this country. The compassion to accept anyone and everyone, to give them a chance, and with that to help build this nation into what it is now and what it will be. Even to day our compassion overflows. No greater example of this is the amount of foreign aid distributed around the globe, the aid we send in times of natural disasters. Compassion abounds in the U.S. and it always will, perhaps to fault. As much as most of know just how detrimental illegal immigration can be, we see in the faces of those who come here illegally the embodiment of the words engraved on the Statue of Liberty. We understand why they come. We understand the risks they take to come here. We feel for them. This is why compassion so often usurps common sense in the illegal immigration debate. Because it is at our core. it is who we as Americans are. It is one of many things that make this country great.

It may be the wrong way to approach the problem, but I'm not sure it is something that will change anytime soon.

Remember, the measure if a country's greatness can be determined by the number of people trying to get in.
    Good, direct answer to a direct question!