Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    Sorry, it went right past me.

Too bad liberals run their ideas through the ideological machine before making law.
    Must be the time difference - shackles - penal colony?

Jeez I get it thrown at me all the time and when I can use it....oh well.

Ah now law, law is all about ideology. Definitely all about ideology.
    "Unbloodybreakable" DCI Gene Hunt, 2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

he hasn't been convicted yet....tho it doesn't look good to have so many witnesses against him....harder for them all to get their story straight if this was a scam
    Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    he hasn't been convicted yet....tho it doesn't look good to have so many witnesses against him....harder for them all to get their story straight if this was a scam
    If it's accurate there will be a trail of evidence scattered all over the place. And let's not forget any deals that can be done.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diuretic View Post
    If it's accurate there will be a trail of evidence scattered all over the place. And let's not forget any deals that can be done.
    no doubt a deal will be done, i think the article even mentioned that max time and then the DA said, oh, he won't serve that much....
    Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

one more thing about bail. The point of bail isnt to keep someone in jail. Its to make sure that those who have been committed of crimes will show up at the hearings. For serious crimes, that often means they request a high bail to make sure skipping out is a higher cost than showing up. Naturally these high amounts usually keep the person in jail. most people dont have $50,000+ to throw away.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What do the women look like? Are there some hotties in the mix or are they all skanks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    one more thing about bail. The point of bail isnt to keep someone in jail. Its to make sure that those who have been committed of crimes will show up at the hearings. For serious crimes, that often means they request a high bail to make sure skipping out is a higher cost than showing up. Naturally these high amounts usually keep the person in jail. most people dont have $50,000+ to throw away.
    I always wondered how it worked there. Where I am the presumption is for bail and police can grant bail and courts of course. If police refuse bail they have to have a very good set of reasons for doing so, the decision can be taken before a magistrate for review (after hours it's done per phone) and that decision, if it's to refuse bail, is taken to a judge in chambers. No cash required either, just a recognizance and sometimes a guarantor. If bail conditions are breached then the hammer comes down.

Yes yurt I think the DA would be discussing outcomes with legal counsel right now. But jeez what a grubby bastard this man is (el jeffe I mean)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diuretic View Post
    I always wondered how it worked there. Where I am the presumption is for bail and police can grant bail and courts of course. If police refuse bail they have to have a very good set of reasons for doing so, the decision can be taken before a magistrate for review (after hours it's done per phone) and that decision, if it's to refuse bail, is taken to a judge in chambers. No cash required either, just a recognizance and sometimes a guarantor. If bail conditions are breached then the hammer comes down.

Yes yurt I think the DA would be discussing outcomes with legal counsel right now. But jeez what a grubby bastard this man is (el jeffe I mean)
    Yep, it's not within the powers of police to set bail, rather it's on the 'law' side, the state's attorney to request and the court to set bail. If bail is granted, it's set to 'insure' that the defendant will show and not skip.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Bail is set only by a judge. The prosecutor can ask for a high or low bail, but the judge makes the decision. In this country no police set or ask for a bail. If the arrest is on a weekend or at night the person sits in jail until a judge is contacted to set the bail or until they appear in court the following day. In serious cases the defendant will sit in jail until the court appearance. It's best not to get arrested on Friday night, makes for a long weekend.

Just to give you a better understanding D.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Bail is set only by a judge. The prosecutor can ask for a high or low bail, but the judge makes the decision. In this country no police set or ask for a bail. If the arrest is on a weekend or at night the person sits in jail until a judge is contacted to set the bail or until they appear in court the following day. In serious cases the defendant will sit in jail until the court appearance. It's best not to get arrested on Friday night, makes for a long weekend.

Just to give you a better understanding D.
    I'm not worried about getting arrested on a Friday night.

First, it would involve actually committing a crime (Not going to happen).

Second, by monday they would be begging to release me. I may be young, but a lawyer in prison with alot of free time on his hands is never good for the system.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you for the information - it's interesting to see the differences.