Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Iranian women rights activists arrested

Shamefull. Womans' rights still have a long way to go in the ME. Hopefully one day the actions of brave woman like these will fix the situation.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070304...omenrightsdemo

TEHRAN (AFP) - Iranian security forces on Sunday arrested around 30 women's rights activists rallying outside a Tehran court where a group of their fellow campaigners were on trial over a demonstration last year.

"My clients and other women who had gathered in front of the court were arrested," Nasrin Sotoodeh, the lawyer for the accused, was quoted as saying by the ISNA news agency.

According to unofficial reports, around 30 people were detained, including some of the most prominent women's rights activists in Iran.

The protestors had gathered in front of the revolutionary court in solidarity with five women on trial over their roles in a demonstration which was broken up by police in June last year.

Nushin Ahmadi Khorasani, Parvin Ardalan, Shahla Entesari, Susan Tahmasebi and Fariba Davudi Mohajer were standing trial for organising an "unauthorised" rally to ask for equal rights for women.

It was not clear which of the accused were among those arrested.

Sotoodeh later told AFP that the arrested activists had been transferred to the notorious Evin prison in northern Tehran.

"The families of those (arrested) who do not have a problem have been told to bring in property documents to bail them out," the lawyer said. "But this does not apply to those who do have a problem."

Sotoodeh said that the authorities have still not officially said how many people were arrested and or released their names.

Seventy people, most of them women, were arrested at the protest last June when they called for improved rights and changes to laws discriminating against women.

Under Iranian law, married women have to go through a lengthy process to be granted a divorce, and the testimony of two women is equal to that of one man.

Rights groups claimed that some demonstrators at that protest were beaten by the police.

Those arrested in June were all subsequently released, although one detained protester, reformist ex-MP Ali-Akbar Musavi Khoini, was held in prison until October

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does the idea of Western women's rights reconcile with Islamic rule?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

In islam women are second class citizens. That's why they wear the hajib and can't go anywhere without being accompanied by a male family member. They cannot drive or own anything. A woman that is raped is subject to execution. It's all there in the koran, which is what all the islamic countries recognize as the law. No one is going to get any rights when islam rules.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

These are brave women.
    Last edited by Abbey Marie; 03-05-2007 at 08:29 AM.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    In islam women are second class citizens. That's why they wear the hajib and can't go anywhere without being accompanied by a male family member. They cannot drive or own anything. A woman that is raped is subject to execution. It's all there in the koran, which is what all the islamic countries recognize as the law. No one is going to get any rights when islam rules.
    Most of that stuff isn't actually in there. Shariah law is a 'make it up as you go' legal code. The primary reason men get away with doing such horrible things to women is because women are forbidden to learn to read, meaning they've never read the Koran.
    "Lighght"
    - This 'poem' was bought and paid for with $2,250 of YOUR money.

Name one thing the government does better than the private sector and I'll show you something that requires the use of force to accomplish.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Most of that stuff isn't actually in there. Shariah law is a 'make it up as you go' legal code. The primary reason men get away with doing such horrible things to women is because women are forbidden to learn to read, meaning they've never read the Koran.
    The stuff is in there. And your right they aren't allowed to learn to read or get an education. It's all there in the koran, the hadaith and the sharia (sp). The only things lower than women are infidels and jews.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LiberalNation View Post
    Shamefull. Womans' rights still have a long way to go in the ME. Hopefully one day the actions of brave woman like these will fix the situation.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070304...omenrightsdemo

TEHRAN (AFP) - Iranian security forces on Sunday arrested around 30 women's rights activists rallying outside a Tehran court where a group of their fellow campaigners were on trial over a demonstration last year.

"My clients and other women who had gathered in front of the court were arrested," Nasrin Sotoodeh, the lawyer for the accused, was quoted as saying by the ISNA news agency.

According to unofficial reports, around 30 people were detained, including some of the most prominent women's rights activists in Iran.

The protestors had gathered in front of the revolutionary court in solidarity with five women on trial over their roles in a demonstration which was broken up by police in June last year.

Nushin Ahmadi Khorasani, Parvin Ardalan, Shahla Entesari, Susan Tahmasebi and Fariba Davudi Mohajer were standing trial for organising an "unauthorised" rally to ask for equal rights for women.

It was not clear which of the accused were among those arrested.

Sotoodeh later told AFP that the arrested activists had been transferred to the notorious Evin prison in northern Tehran.

"The families of those (arrested) who do not have a problem have been told to bring in property documents to bail them out," the lawyer said. "But this does not apply to those who do have a problem."

Sotoodeh said that the authorities have still not officially said how many people were arrested and or released their names.

Seventy people, most of them women, were arrested at the protest last June when they called for improved rights and changes to laws discriminating against women.

Under Iranian law, married women have to go through a lengthy process to be granted a divorce, and the testimony of two women is equal to that of one man.

Rights groups claimed that some demonstrators at that protest were beaten by the police.

Those arrested in June were all subsequently released, although one detained protester, reformist ex-MP Ali-Akbar Musavi Khoini, was held in prison until October
    Would you suggest that the West intervene on the part of the women or would that just create MORE Islamic chauvenist pigs ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    The stuff is in there. And your right they aren't allowed to learn to read or get an education. It's all there in the koran, the hadaith and the sharia (sp). The only things lower than women are infidels and jews.
    I am not familiar with the Koran. In the Bible, when it tells a woman to submit to her husband (not ALL men), the passage is followed by instruction for the man. For instance, in 1Peter 3, Peter instructs wive to submit to their husbands, to live with purity and reverence, and to avoid vanity. Immediately following this passage, Peter instructs men to be considerate as they live with their wives, to treat them with especial respect as coheirs of the kingdom of God. Many times, men chose to ignore the second halves of the messages, but they were still there.

Is that the way it goes in the Koran? Are there accompanying instructions for men?
    Blessed be Your name, when the sun's shining down on me, when the world's "all as it should be," blessed be Your name!
    Blessed be Your name on the road marked with suffering, though there's pain in the offering, blessed be Your name!
    Every blessing You pour out I'll turn back to praise. When the darkness closes in, Lord, still I will say...
    Blessed be the name of the Lord!
    Blessed be Your name!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nienna View Post
    I am not familiar with the Koran. In the Bible, when it tells a woman to submit to her husband (not ALL men), the passage is followed by instruction for the man. For instance, in 1Peter 3, Peter instructs wive to submit to their husbands, to live with purity and reverence, and to avoid vanity. Immediately following this passage, Peter instructs men to be considerate as they live with their wives, to treat them with especial respect as coheirs of the kingdom of God. Many times, men chose to ignore the second halves of the messages, but they were still there.

Is that the way it goes in the Koran? Are there accompanying instructions for men?
    Of course, but they usually involve something like recommendations for beating your wife daily.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not really from what I know of the Koran it treats woman about as well as the bible except for the viel being a requirment.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Not really from what I know of the Koran it treats woman about as well as the bible except for the viel being a requirment.
    My comment was sarcasm....guess you are not used to that

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

But in the interestof being truthful:

4:34 Men are in charge of women, because Allah hath made the one of them to excel the other, and because they spend of their property (for the support of women). So good women are the obedient, guarding in secret that which Allah hath guarded. As for those from whom ye fear rebellion, admonish them and banish them to beds apart, and scourge them. Then if they obey you, seek not a way against them. Lo! Allah is ever High, Exalted, Great.

I'm thinking some female posters on this board would be all black and blue!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Perhaps a look at this woman's bookhttp://www.womensrightsblog.com/2007...y_of_an_i.html, will give you a better understanding of how islamic women are to be treated by the guide of the koran.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    But in the interestof being truthful:

I'm thinking some female posters on this board would be all black and blue!
    I dunno about black and blue.. I don't know any woman that would tolerate it once, much less repeatedly...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shattered View Post
    I dunno about black and blue.. I don't know any woman that would tolerate it once, much less repeatedly...
    Simple...because Allah says so! Besides, who could she turn to for help?