Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    I already had B/U disc. but I don't why its says that. it did not affect anything. its designed really to make windows run smoother and some more security.
    I have system restore discs. I think what it was telling me to do was back stuff like my pictures, video and PDF files. That kind of stuff. But if it doesn't effect it, I think I'll download SP3 today.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyKitten99 View Post
    Get an external hard drive and back up all your files that way. It works like a jump drive, but with a larger capacity. You don't need discs. It takes very little time and you can essentially just select all your documents, click "copy" and select the new hard drive location, and you're done. The speed to copy all of the files depends on the volume and complexity of files. Mine took about 15 minutes total.

I bought a 500gb MyBook Essential edition by Western Digital, because I researched all the reviews from users from different sources like cnet.com, bestbuy.com, circuitcity.com, officemax.com, etc, and MyBook & Seagate were tied for ratings. Right now, Circuit City has one available for $109.99.

I have started putting our DVD's in the thing. I have so far 20 movies in it, and I am only down to 465gb, including my other files, like music and photos and misc documents.
    Good suggestion Fuzzy, but heck, I'm not going to go out and drop $110 just so I can download SP3. My computer runs fine without it.

I use CDRW's they're dirt cheap and re writable.
    I've got half a dozen CD-RW's I could use to BU my pictures and stuff. I might do that.

but im a home user not a tech. ive been using CD's for years. I keep mine in the jewl box's they came with. they still look like new. good point on capacity. but you can buy double layer CD's with up to 8.5 GB. HP has software for OS back up. I backed up my entire OS system on one. but its personel pref.
    Me too. Home user. No one touches my computer but me. It's two years old and runs like a freight train.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    I have system restore discs. I think what it was telling me to do was back stuff like my pictures, video and PDF files. That kind of stuff. But if it doesn't effect it, I think I'll download SP3 today.

Good suggestion Fuzzy, but heck, I'm not going to go out and drop $110 just so I can download SP3. My computer runs fine without it.

I've got half a dozen CD-RW's I could use to BU my pictures and stuff. I might do that.

Me too. Home user. No one touches my computer but me. It's two years old and runs like a freight train.
    let me know how it turns out...............

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

let me know how it turns out...............
    Downloaded SP3, and it totally screwed up my computer. It wouldn't boot Windows. When it restarted after the download, it just kept popping back to the safe start screen. So I started it in Safe Mode and used system restore to restore it to yesterday. Screw SP3.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm running OSX Tiger, never had a crash, never a virus, never anything but smooth computing. I don't have a firewall or virus protection and have downloaded thousands of songs and movies without a hiccup. Get a MAC and you will NEVER go back....... hehe
    No matter where I've traveled or how great the trip was, it's always wonderful to return to my country, The United States of America......... me

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Vista is just plain awful, avoid it at all costs

so whats been your experience with these OS systems???? I have XP. and love it. so who's got Vista???? which do you like best???? problems???
    XP is supposed to go off the sales shelves next month. but there is a growing support from many users to keep it around. including a petition to MS.

save XP

MS responds

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Downloaded SP3, and it totally screwed up my computer. It wouldn't boot Windows. When it restarted after the download, it just kept popping back to the safe start screen. So I started it in Safe Mode and used system restore to restore it to yesterday. Screw SP3.
    what brand of PC/OS do you have ???? your the only one I know that had problems............

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what brand of PC/OS do you have ???? your the only one I know that had problems............
    I have an H.P. Pavilion a1610n PC with an AMD Athlon 3.4G processor. It's only two years old and runs perfect, fast. I shouldn't have even bothered. And obviously I have Windows XP for an O.S., or we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I shut down my Norton anti-virus and my Webroot adware/spyware programs so nothing was running. I have Charter high speed cable, and there wasn't any interruptions during the download process. So, since my computer runs as perfect as it does, I'm just not going to bother with it again. I have SP2, so I'll just keep checking for high priority updates and let that be it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

I have an H.P. Pavilion a1610n PC with an AMD Athlon 3.4G processor. It's only two years old and runs perfect, fast. I shouldn't have even bothered. And obviously I have Windows XP for an O.S., or we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I shut down my Norton anti-virus and my Webroot adware/spyware programs so nothing was running. I have Charter high speed cable, and there wasn't any interruptions during the download process. So, since my computer runs as perfect as it does, I'm just not going to bother with it again. I have SP2, so I'll just keep checking for high priority updates and let that be it.
    ever hear that saying 'I got it you take it???" I have an HP to. but you have the Athlon and I have the intell. read this:
    The recent Windows XP Service Pack 3 update has left certain AMD-based PCs manufactured by Hewlett-Packard caught in an endless reboot cycle caused by an Intel-specific disk image mistakenly being used with AMD hardware
    story

the fix

well somebody fumbled the ball

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ever hear that saying 'I got it you take it???" I have an HP to. but you have the Athlon and I have the intell. read this:

story

the fix

well somebody fumbled the ball
    Outstanding namvet! And just like that I've got SP3 installed and everything is running great.

THANK YOU!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Outstanding namvet! And just like that I've got SP3 installed and everything is running great.

THANK YOU!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have vista ultimate on my laptop and it works fine, no problems, as for it being better or worse than xp, I don't know, my needs are simple and they both fulfill them