Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

My son's toying with a computer to run on Linux and entirely open source applications. It looks good for about 95% of the world, but I use AutoCad and literally dozens of small engineering specific applications that rely on Windoze. He hasn't figured out yet how to make those work- dependably- on Linux. There’s an application called Wine that supposedly claims that it can run this stuff but so far hasn’t proven to cut the mustard.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    My son's toying with a computer to run on Linux and entirely open source applications. It looks good for about 95% of the world, but I use AutoCad and literally dozens of small engineering specific applications that rely on Windoze. He hasn't figured out yet how to make those work- dependably- on Linux. There’s an application called Wine that supposedly claims that it can run this stuff but so far hasn’t proven to cut the mustard.
    What's he using? I run Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon (I had kernel problems with Hardy so I went back to the previous version). I'm using the Gnome version. In Ubuntu there's a handy little programme that tells you what software is available and it downloads and installs it automatically for you - the Add/Remove function in Ubuntu. I just checked. It has a couple of CAD programmes available at no cost.

QCaD
    SagCAD
    ElectricalCAD (for circuit design)

There is a function called Synaptic Package Manager which shows you more programmes

Qcad
    Pythoncad
    varkon
    "Unbloodybreakable" DCI Gene Hunt, 2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diuretic View Post
    What's he using? I run Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon (I had kernel problems with Hardy so I went back to the previous version). I'm using the Gnome version. In Ubuntu there's a handy little programme that tells you what software is available and it downloads and installs it automatically for you - the Add/Remove function in Ubuntu. I just checked. It has a couple of CAD programmes available at no cost.

QCaD
    SagCAD
    ElectricalCAD (for circuit design)

There is a function called Synaptic Package Manager which shows you more programmes

Qcad
    Pythoncad
    varkon
    I sent him a link to the Wired article to see what he says. I notice that it doesn't support games too well which is fairly critical for a 16 year old. I looked at the PythonCad thing a bit and it doesn't support dwg files. My industry is nearly 100% on DWG, which is why I moved to Windoze from Mac 8 years ago.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    I sent him a link to the Wired article to see what he says. I notice that it doesn't support games too well which is fairly critical for a 16 year old. I looked at the PythonCad thing a bit and it doesn't support dwg files. My industry is nearly 100% on DWG, which is why I moved to Windoze from Mac 8 years ago.
    Yes games are in issue in Linux. There is a free programme called Wine which allows some games (not all, there's a list of known ones on their site) and a commercial programme called Cedega which is better than Wine but of course costs a few dollars. But apparently Cedega is pretty good. I only have FlightGear on my Linux computer and that runs pretty well and my Windows computer is too slow to run any decent modern games, I just use it for Office (OpenOffice is good on Linux but when compatabilty is important I use Office on Windows).

As for DWG - I'm going to admit utter ignorance but you're right Python Cad doesn't support it.

Oh well, in a later manifestation perhaps.
    "Unbloodybreakable" DCI Gene Hunt, 2008