Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I have always been partial to the sound of Gibsons, especially the Les Paul. Paul Reed Smith and Rickenbacker are others that my ears like the sound of. Fenders have always sounded too bright although I will make an exception for Hendrix, he got some incredible sound out of his Strat.

I'm not a musician, I was always into painting and photography, but I do love listening and have a large collection of music. Two of my brothers are guitar players. Both play Gibson electric and one plays a Martin acoustic.
    No matter where I've traveled or how great the trip was, it's always wonderful to return to my country, The United States of America......... me

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by actsnoblemartin View Post
    why dont u get them a music teacher first, who can help you find musical equipment cheap.
    I have a music teacher in house Gaffer...he plays guitar and drums imagine the money i will save in lessons!!!!
    You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word. ~ Gaffer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gibsons are truly legendary and excellent instruments, zero. I've played and owned a number of them. Gibson has never built an amp that I like and I don't believe they have ever built anything for the low end market that Trinity describes as a primary concern. Epiphone, a subsidiary of Gibson, does sell low end stuff but I find their equipment totally inconsistent, overpriced for what it is and unreliable even in the higher end pieces. Epiphone, also legendary and excellent many years ago, is not a brand I would give serious consideration to today.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitarro View Post
    I have always been partial to the sound of Gibsons, especially the Les Paul. Paul Reed Smith and Rickenbacker are others that my ears like the sound of. Fenders have always sounded too bright although I will make an exception for Hendrix, he got some incredible sound out of his Strat.

I'm not a musician, I was always into painting and photography, but I do love listening and have a large collection of music. Two of my brothers are guitar players. Both play Gibson electric and one plays a Martin acoustic.
    C. F. Martin!!!!!! Excellent for an acoustic player that likes steel strings. I don't care for their nylon stringed classical, don't tell Willie Nelson I said that, because I consider them entirely overpriced and under the quality level desired by most classical players.

I maintain my suggestion to the Fender line.

Hit it, Roseanne Cash, Tennessee Flat Top Box:
    Last edited by Psychoblues; 08-01-2008 at 11:01 PM. Reason: spellinf, punctuation, drunk, etc.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sitarro View Post

My 12 year old mentioned Les Paul of course i know absolutely nothing of what is what.....however I hear many of you mentioning fenders so I will have to look into that one as well
    You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word. ~ Gaffer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ok I hear all of you mentioning different brands of guitars...but what about amps? Can I start them off with a cheap amp and if so what brand of amp?

Remember these are very young want to be big hair band musicians!

Who would have guessed my boy's would be into the music I listened to as a teen!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I continue my recommendation for Fender products, Trinity. Even their $80 to $150 models are awesome, sound great and hold up against anything else out there. Fender does the low end market superbly!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    ok I hear all of you mentioning different brands of guitars...but what about amps? Can I start them off with a cheap amp and if so what brand of amp?

Remember these are very young want to be big hair band musicians!

Who would have guessed my boy's would be into the music I listened to as a teen!
    There are other good low end amps but I also have a problem with consistency in other lines. My money is on Fender in all circumstances.

Hit it, Kingston Trio: Louie, Louie:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Les Paul is a very expensive Gibson product, Trinity. There are low end copies but none are suitable, in my opinion, for beginners or for quality consideration. Apparently you probably don't know what a Fender Statocaster is either but that is the instrument that I would steer the kids towards. They are 3 pick up solid body guitars that have all the tone variations that are normally needed and they play extremely well. You will, however, need to make certain the retailer from whom you purchase it will agree to set it up as sometimes they come from the factory with a rather clumsy action adjustment.

My 12 year old mentioned Les Paul of course i know absolutely nothing of what is what.....however I hear many of you mentioning fenders so I will have to look into that one as well
    Good luck on your purchases, Trinity!!!!!! I wish I was still in the business and I would certainly give you the very best equipment at the very best price and with the very best guarantee in the entire market!!!!!!!! Including shipping!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the Jamm:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are either of the kids left handed?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychoblues View Post
    The Les Paul is a very expensive Gibson product, Trinity. There are low end copies but none are suitable, in my opinion, for beginners or for quality consideration. Apparently you probably don't know what a Fender Statocaster is either but that is the instrument that I would steer the kids towards. They are 3 pick up solid body guitars that have all the tone variations that are normally needed and they play extremely well. You will, however, need to make certain the retailer from whom you purchase it will agree to set it up as sometimes they come from the factory with a rather clumsy action adjustment.

Good luck on your purchases, Trinity!!!!!! I wish I was still in the business and I would certainly give you the very best equipment at the very best price and with the very best guarantee in the entire market!!!!!!!! Including shipping!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the Jamm:
    Thanks Psyco, and yes your right I have no idea what a Fender Statocaster is, other then it's a guitar. But I have the sneaking suspicion I will be quite educated in guitars by the time Christmas rolls around.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychoblues View Post
    Are either of the kids left handed?
    No, both right handed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh my god......I just went to the Fender web site to check out the Fender Statocaster most of their guitars were $2000.00 a piece.

I found the statocaster and it was $600.00.

I know a couple of boy's, that if they decide they want better guitars later on down the road, they better find part time jobs when they turn 14.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, oh no, Trinity!!!!!!! There are much cheaper Fenders available!!!!!!! Do some research!!!!!!! You'll find them, and pretty good lil' $100 amps as well!!!!!!

Oh my god......I just went to the Fender web site to check out the Fender Statocaster most of their guitars were $2000.00 a piece.

I found the statocaster and it was $600.00.

I know a couple of boy's, that if they decide they want better guitars later on down the road, they better find part time jobs when they turn 14.
    Another poster gave a link to Musicians Friend website. That's a good place to shop for what you're looking for!!!!!!! Believe me, Trinity, You Don't Have To Spend That Kind Of Big Bucks To Get Genuine Fender Merchandise!!!!!!!! I'll talk to them about that website of theirs!!!!!!!! Just kidding you, Trinity, Fender don't know me from Adam!!!!!!!! Look around, Trinity. You've got plenty of time!!!!!

I asked the question about the preferred handing for a reason, Trinity. Your kids are both right handed so my thoughts on that are null and void in your particular case!!!!!!

Good luck shopping and a very merry Christmas far in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hit it, Bing, I'm Dreaming Of A White Christmas:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ok so we happen to run into a really good deal on an electric guitar from my husbands brother he had a Gibson Baldwin and a amp he sold to us for my oldest sons football visor and $20.00.

My oldest has had this guitar for less then 24 hours and has managed to teach himself the beginning of smoke on the water.

You should see the glow and the passion on this child's face all I can say is wow!

Yeah I know it was supposed to be a Christmas gift but call it a trial period.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Not a bad deal at all! Now, just show them a few power chords and teach them how to read tabilature and you've got a couple punk rockers!
    Free the West Memphis 3.... http://www.wm3.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here are some pics of my son's new guitar .......He loves it! He managed to learn how to play the beginning of Smoke on the water within the first 24 hours and he is now playing the beginning of some other songs not sure what the names of them are though.

Not a bad deal for a football visor and $20.00.