Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dilloduck View Post
    So when you hear the word "evangelism" you think "I have no problem with it" .
    moronic literalism..... how quaint!

I think of evangelism as an opportunity to tell someone the good news. Many people are turned off by the word, but not me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crin63 View Post
    My first thought is going out into the highways and byways to invite people to come and here the good news, that Jesus saves. Thats the short version.
    If that was all it was, I wouldn't have an issue with it. But when those efforts move from the pulpit to the political arena...no good can come of it.
    Fascism has come to America, wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. His name is Trump.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. - George Orwell...The New GOP motto.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think of a spirited movement that affected my mother and her crowd even though they are Catholics. E brought emotion to what can be a boring and repetitive church going and praying. I think that is its appeal, a chance for everyone to get involved. When we were kids we would walk by the Black churches after mass, they were often only shacks, and the singing and praising the Lord always amused us. They knew how to get down. LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manfrommaine View Post
    moronic literalism..... how quaint!

I think of evangelism as an opportunity to tell someone the good news. Many people are turned off by the word, but not me.
    You answered the question--how unusual !
    How can you tell the difference between those that have already been saved and those who haven't ?

A nutcase will do nutty things.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bullypulpit View Post
    If that was all it was, I wouldn't have an issue with it. But when those efforts move from the pulpit to the political arena...no good can come of it.
    evangelism has nothing to do with politics....that picture has been painted by liberal paint not religious action......
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How can you tell the difference between those that have already been saved and those who haven't ?

I ask

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My youth and my mom. It seemed before rock and roll it wasn't cool not to be identified with that word.
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    ---Thomas Jefferson (or as Al Sharpton calls him: Grandpappy)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Evangelism?

Some thoughts:

I am not looking for an insult-fest between people, or even a debate on the topic. I am hoping you will avoid making smart-alecky answers.

I have no "right answer" waiting in the wings. This is not a political thread in disguise. I am trying to get a feeling for what that word evokes in you.

Thanks in advance for taking the topic seriously, folks.
    Big suburban churches with very big car parks which are full every Sunday. Groups of people who are well dressed, casually, not overdressed. And the group is usually a man, a woman and perhaps two children, again all smartly dressed.

In the church itself a charismatic pastor on a platform or a stage. Lots of music, perhaps a small band but definitely someone playing an organ. The music isn't in the classical liturgical style but might be fairly boppy and uplifting. I see a lot of very demonstrative behaviour, by the pastor and by the congregation. Lots of smiling, laughter, very loud prayers and exhortations to God.

And I see absolutely no real theology. I see no meditation, no pensive thoughts, no discussion about belief, no addressing of doubt, no personal prayer, no self-examination, no self-inquiry, no deeper connection being sought between the individual and their God.

It's McDonalds religion.
    "Unbloodybreakable" DCI Gene Hunt, 2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    evangelism has nothing to do with politics....that picture has been painted by liberal paint not religious action......
    Hmmm...You must not see much of those cults of personality that are the mega-churches with their politically active, evangelistic pastors on TV.
    Fascism has come to America, wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. His name is Trump.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. - George Orwell...The New GOP motto.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I ask
    Everyone ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Everyone ?

no

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

no
    Why not?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Saved...? From what?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diuretic View Post
    Big suburban churches with very big car parks which are full every Sunday. Groups of people who are well dressed, casually, not overdressed. And the group is usually a man, a woman and perhaps two children, again all smartly dressed.

In the church itself a charismatic pastor on a platform or a stage. Lots of music, perhaps a small band but definitely someone playing an organ. The music isn't in the classical liturgical style but might be fairly boppy and uplifting. I see a lot of very demonstrative behaviour, by the pastor and by the congregation. Lots of smiling, laughter, very loud prayers and exhortations to God.

And I see absolutely no real theology. I see no meditation, no pensive thoughts, no discussion about belief, no addressing of doubt, no personal prayer, no self-examination, no self-inquiry, no deeper connection being sought between the individual and their God.

It's McDonalds religion.
    For the most part I think we agree on this point and a counterfeit only serves to prove that there is the genuine article out there.

For the most part mega-churches are just people stealing machines where no one really knows anyone or holds anyone accountable. They just go out and plunder other churches so they can grow.

I have no problem with large congregations that are built by evangelizing the lost and I don't consider those mega-churches regardless of size.

My church is fairly small church, and by todays standards very old fashion. We are running about 175 people Sunday mornings. We could be a much larger church if we were willing to compromise but we won't and we grow slowly as a result of it. We don't take transfers or people from other Independent Baptist congregations. We actually prefer people who have no church background at all.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Why do folk assume popular churches aren't "authentic"?
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.