Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Having lived through those times I marvel at the misinformation the wingnut corporate tools present as history today. Carter inherited a mess, does anyone ask why Ford lost to a farmer from Georgia? That in itself should be telling. But the revisionist history of pointing fingers at the other guy, and not at one's party, is art form today. Read a bit and learn.

http://www.studien-von-zeitfragen.ne...agflation.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagflation

Does this sound familiar or what - we never learn it seems. Carter faced this on a larger scale.

"Factors beyond Nixon's control undermined his economic policies. In 1973 the war between Israel, Egypt and Syria prompted Saudi Arabia to impose an embargo on oil shipped to Israel's ally, the United States. Other member nations of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) quadrupled their prices. Americans faced both shortages and rapidly rising prices. Even when the embargo ended the next year, prices remained high. Higher energy prices affected all areas of American economic life: in 1974 inflation reached 12 percent, causing disruptions that led to even higher unemployment rates. This era of recession and inflation ("stagflation") brought an end to the unprecedented economic boom America had enjoyed since 1948."

http://countrystudies.us/united-states/history-126.htm

I still rate Reagan (in modern times) as the worst president until Bush junior. We started to forget about all the citizens and we became a social/economic darwinist nation. Reagan may have realized his mistakes but what he did by allowing the market rather than the people control has stagnated wages for working people all these years with only a slight increase under Clinton. Think only of minimum wage and you quickly see republicans care not for America but for money.
    I lived throught the Peanut yeares - and he did the same things Obama wants to do

Rqaise taxes on the workers and companies. Increase government spending. As gas lines went around the block, this idiot raised taxes on oil companies and told us to conserve

As interest rates and inflation went up into double digits, Peanut Carter told us to lower our standrard of living and pay more in taxes

Now onder the voters soundly fired his ass in a Reagan landslide

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Having lived through those times I marvel at the misinformation the wingnut corporate tools present as history today. Carter inherited a mess, does anyone ask why Ford lost to a farmer from Georgia? That in itself should be telling. But the revisionist history of pointing fingers at the other guy, and not at one's party, is art form today. Read a bit and learn.

Does this sound familiar or what - we never learn it seems. Carter faced this on a larger scale.

"Factors beyond Nixon's control undermined his economic policies. In 1973 the war between Israel, Egypt and Syria prompted Saudi Arabia to impose an embargo on oil shipped to Israel's ally, the United States. Other member nations of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) quadrupled their prices. Americans faced both shortages and rapidly rising prices. Even when the embargo ended the next year, prices remained high. Higher energy prices affected all areas of American economic life: in 1974 inflation reached 12 percent, causing disruptions that led to even higher unemployment rates. This era of recession and inflation ("stagflation") brought an end to the unprecedented economic boom America had enjoyed since 1948."

I still rate Reagan (in modern times) as the worst president until Bush junior. We started to forget about all the citizens and we became a social/economic darwinist nation. Reagan may have realized his mistakes but what he did by allowing the market rather than the people control has stagnated wages for working people all these years with only a slight increase under Clinton. Think only of minimum wage and you quickly see republicans care not for America but for money.
    I still have my WIN button from Nixon's era. I remember price caps to control inflation. What you describe is accurate history.
    A chance for a new beginning, like a dawn of reconciliation.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by April15 View Post
    I still have my WIN button from Nixon's era. I remember price caps to control inflation. What you describe is accurate history.
    How about a Gritz and Fritz button? That about all the Peanut administartion had to offer the voters

BTW inflation soared under Pres Peanut - but to you, it was not Peanut's fault

You blame Republicans who were not in power for the long 4 years of Peanut power

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

"Factors beyond Nixon's control undermined his economic policies..."

Carter was a failure because he had absolutely no clue how to deal with the situation. His only saving grace was appointing Volcker, after his first pick of Miller was run out, who would finally put the clamps on inflation. Even Volckers actions had little effect until the stimulative tax cuts pulled the string.

Reagan inherited in essence the same situation as Carter although he knew it was government action that kept the lid on economic activity, he proposed a radical, at the time, solution of tax cuts to stimulate the economy. Once the full implementation of the tax cuts in '83 were put in place the economy took off.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fj1200 View Post
    Carter was a failure because he had absolutely no clue how to deal with the situation. His only saving grace was appointing Volcker, after his first pick of Miller was run out, who would finally put the clamps on inflation. Even Volckers actions had little effect until the stimulative tax cuts pulled the string.

Reagan inherited in essence the same situation as Carter although he knew it was government action that kept the lid on economic activity, he proposed a radical, at the time, solution of tax cuts to stimulate the economy. Once the full implementation of the tax cuts in '83 were put in place the economy took off.
    The lasting legacy of the Peanut adminiatration will be the creation of the Misery Index. Things were so bad under his failed liberal policies the Misery Index was created to track how awful things were for the America people

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red states rule View Post
    The lasting legacy of the Peanut adminiatration will be the creation of the Misery Index. Things were so bad under his failed liberal policies the Misery Index was created to track how awful things were for the America people
    That, and his cowardice and ineptitude in dealing with the hostage situation.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    That, and his cowardice and ineptitude in dealing with the hostage situation.
    Do you even know what the Iranians were asking for? Did you know that the profit from oil exported from their country was the issue? Carter asked the oil cos to pay the ransom. Why? Because the ransom was the profitfrom the oil TAKEN from Iran by the US oil cos under the US supported Shah.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you even know what the Iranians were asking for? Did you know that the profit from oil exported from their country was the issue? Carter asked the oil cos to pay the ransom. Why? Because the ransom was the profitfrom the oil TAKEN from Iran by the US oil cos under the US supported Shah.
    now explain carter's proxy war in afganistan against the soviets....

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    now explain carter's proxy war in afganistan against the soviets....
    Why don't you?!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Why am I not surprised that you would feel for the hostage takers, and be supportive of Jimmuh's cowardice in dealing with them?
    Paying ransom? Good lord, what capitulators you folks are.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why don't you?!
    come on....carter is your hero.....tell me about his proxy war with the soviets....

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    come on....carter is your hero.....tell me about his proxy war with the soviets....
    Carter is not my hero but I do know why he did things. I also know why others made diplomatic treaties in violation of the constitution.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why am I not surprised that you would feel for the hostage takers, and be supportive of Jimmuh's cowardice in dealing with them?
    Paying ransom? Good lord, what capitulators you folks are.
    Abby,
    You are aware that for 20 or so years the US supported the Shah of Iran and were paid with oil. I don't know about you but in my thinking that is theft.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Abby,
    You are aware that for 20 or so years the US supported the Shah of Iran and were paid with oil. I don't know about you but in my thinking that is theft.
    So, in your thinking, the hostage-taking was acceptable?

And regardless of your answer to that question, Carter handled it like the spineless bumbler that he was.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So, in your thinking, the hostage-taking was acceptable?

And regardless of your answer to that question, Carter handled it like the spineless bumbler that he was.
    Taking hostages is never acceptable. You may believe of Carter what you want. The facts will be available in 2020 and then he will be exonerated for his supposed lack of action.