Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moderate democrat View Post
    I am not at all convinced that just because a bill has earmarks, that the spending contained therein is "wasteful". I am not at all convinced that Obama would NOT veto a bill that was overly laden with wasteful spending...

and I also know that presidential candidates campaign in poetry and govern in prose. I won't hold Obama to any higher standard than I held Bush.
    Funny how things can be politely "minced" when it's Dems making the decisions. He PROMISED no more pork and earmarks and complete transparency. He stated we got partially into this mess from pork spending and here he is signing a bill with 9,000 earmarks.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Didn't Obama run on "hope and CHANGE"? Slicing the words and acts to make it sound any different is a losing cause - it's business as usual for Washington and we now just have another LIAR in office.
    My liberal buddy (blue state rule) is not the happy lib he was BEFORE the election. Now he is rather quiet, and he is watching his 401K fade away as Wall St expresses their "confidence" in the messiah's economic policies

I am almost wishing Jimmy Carter was back in office - the results of his 4 years was not nearly as bad as Obama's is looking to be

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moderate democrat View Post
    I am not at all convinced that just because a bill has earmarks, that the spending contained therein is "wasteful". I am not at all convinced that Obama would NOT veto a bill that was overly laden with wasteful spending...

and I also know that presidential candidates campaign in poetry and govern in prose. I won't hold Obama to any higher standard than I held Bush.
    I have a thread on the 9,000 earmarks. Here is the intro

Here we goes folks. Look how your tax money is being spent

$200,000 for “Tattoo Removal Violence Prevention Outreach Program,”

Maine lobster earmark in the omnibus (Virgil should love this one)

$5.8 million earmark for the “Ted Kennedy Institute for the Senate…for the planning and design of a building & an endowment,”

and National Council of La Raza, $473,000 earmark from Sens. Bingaman and Menendez

and I thought Obama promised NO EARMARKS AND PORK

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=21660

So these are not wasteful?

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red states rule View Post
    I have a thread on the 9,000 earmarks. Here is the intro

Here we goes folks. Look how your tax money is being spent

$200,000 for “Tattoo Removal Violence Prevention Outreach Program,”

Maine lobster earmark in the omnibus (Virgil should love this one)

$5.8 million earmark for the “Ted Kennedy Institute for the Senate…for the planning and design of a building & an endowment,”

and National Council of La Raza, $473,000 earmark from Sens. Bingaman and Menendez

and I thought Obama promised NO EARMARKS AND PORK

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=21660

While at a time these wouldn't be so bad - ANYONE claiming that this is NOT wasteful spending during a time of recession is absolutely delusional. Obama lied, our bank accounts will die.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red states rule View Post

wasteful? I dunno. do they create jobs and economic activity?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    While at a time these wouldn't be so bad - ANYONE claiming that this is NOT wasteful spending during a time of recession is absolutely delusional. Obama lied, our bank accounts will die.
    and what is left of our 401K's are melting away

Dow is at 6,956

I guess Dems will be happy now. More people to take more handouts

and Dems can now try to take over 401K's with Government Savings Accounts like they talked about last year

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Anyone can make up their own mind about Obama's actions. But I look at it as if he was speaking to me directly when he made his promises. He spoke to all of us as a group and as individuals. I for one see that he made a promise to me and has now went back on it, and IMO that is irrefutable. 5.8 million for an endowment program is wasteful at this point and time no matter how much spinning is done. 200k for a damn tattoo removal program is wasteful spending at this time. And I have a sneaky suspicion we might find a few more earmarks that aren't completely necessary at this time out of the other 8,998.

I thought he has stated he would give the American people time to review this crap before it was signed?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Fox is pointing out Obama's broken promise

and the Obama spokepeople are blaming Pres Bush.

Obama Will Sign Spending Bill Despite Earmarks
    President will break a campaign pledge on Monday and sign a budget bill laden with millions in lawmakers' pet projects, administration officials said.

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama will break a campaign pledge and sign a budget bill laden with millions in lawmakers' pet projects, administration officials said.

Administration budget chief Peter Orszag and White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel both downplayed the $410 billion spending bill and signaled Obama would hold his nose and sign it. Orszag said: "We want to just move on. Let's get this bill done, get it into law and move forward.

Said Emanuel: "That's last year's business."

The House last week passed the measure that would keep the government running through Sept. 30, when the federal budget year ends. Taxpayers for Common Sense, a watchdog group, identified almost 8,600 specially sponsored projects totaling $7.7 billion; Democrats say the number is $3.8 billion.

Either way, it is far more than Obama promised as a candidate. He refused "earmarks" for the economic stimulus package he championed and a children's health bill.

He similiarly pledged to reject tailored budget requests that let lawmakers send money to their home states. Orszag said Obama would move ahead and overlook the time-tested tradition that lets officials divert millions at a time to pet projects.

"We want to make sure that earmarks are reduced and they're also transparent. We're going to work with the Congress on a set of reforms to achieve those," said Orszag, director of the Office of Management and Budget.

Obama's top hands assigned responsibility to their predecessors and President George W. Bush.

Blaming Bush-era proposals for deficits, Obama wanted to set up his own budget that would start Oct. 1, which he proposed last week with a bold goal of cutting the deficit by half within his four-year term.

"First, this is a $1.7 trillion deficit he inherited. Let's be clear about that. We inherited this deficit and we inherited $4 trillion of new debt," Emanuel said. "That is the facts."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/firs...sign-spending/

Ronald Reagan