Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Cp View Post
    Fighter and attack aircraft are aging faster than they can be replaced. The way out of this crisis has been blocked by the cut in F-22 Raptor production and budget-driven delays in production of the F-35 Lightning II, also known as the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF). As a result, the service is trying to figure out how to do what it has never done: accept into its aircraft mix a large number of less-capable legacy forces.

http://www.afa.org/mitchell/reports/CAF_0309.pdf
    They can always dig those P-38s out of the ice up in Greenland.

There, problem solved.

(Too bad the B-29 is gone.)
    "The social contract exists so that everyone doesn’t have to squat in the dust holding a spear to protect his woman and his meat all day every day. It does not exist so that the government can take your spear, your meat, and your woman because it knows better what to do with them." - Instapundit.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    ??...are you suggesting that the EU is a potential enemy?......
    Are you forgetting history? Where did Iran's potential nuclear capabilities come from? They bought much of it from the French. No telling who they may sell the jet to in the future. And in this world, the enemy of our enemy is often a beneficiary of advanced military technology.

Eurofighter is being sold to Saudi Arabia. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4550670.stm Can you guarantee a stable pro-western government will remain in that country?

China is getting the Russian SU-37 http://www.defence.pk/forums/china-d...u-37-jets.html and http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=15276
    The United States is currently developing a similar aircraft, using a modified F-15 platform, but, like the Russian plane, it is still undergoing flight tests.

However, the Russian fighter began flying in 1996, and it is believed to be more advanced than the U.S. jet
    Quote Originally Posted by glockmail
    I don't remember hearing about any of our stuff getting shot down.
    Nothing recently, and the very small number attests to how much we dominate the skies there:

January 30, 2005 - A British C-130K Hercules C.1P XV179 is shot down north of Baghdad, killing 9 Royal Air Force crew and one British soldier.

April 8, 2003 - A-10A 78-0691 of 124th Wing/190th FS shot down by Roland SAM; pilot survived.[140]

April 7, 2003 - F-15E 88-1694/SJ of 4th FW/333rd FS shot down, both the pilot and Weapon Systems Officer (WSO) were killed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviatio...#cite_note-139

Keep the F-22 in production at one/ year and we can ramp up if the need arises.
    got no problem with that. Keep the production capability open is all I ask.
    Last edited by DannyR; 04-08-2009 at 12:45 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the Air Force has asked for more Ferraris....but both the Navy and Army have asked for more Jeeps.
    F-22 isn't a carrier based fighter. Its not intended for Naval use. Likewise the Army's job isn't supposed to be air superiority either. So I'll stand by the jist of my statement. The service the F-22 was built for wants more. Its the Obama administration, not the service, who are saying cut off the supply.

and, unless someone out there starts building their own Ferraris, we already have enough in the garage to maintain air superiority anywhere in the world.....
    Point isn't about keeping them in the garage, but maintaining the ability to build them in the future.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
    Its the Obama administration, not the service, who are saying cut off the supply.
    that ignores the fact that the military has been arguing about the F22 or F35 pretty much since Clinton was president.....
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

that ignores the fact that the military has been arguing about the F22 or F35 pretty much since Clinton was president.....
    So? Limited resources means they argue about who gets what first. The argument has never been that the aircraft aren't desired. Only where each should be prioritized.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

So? Limited resources means they argue about who gets what first. The argument has never been that the aircraft aren't desired. Only where each should be prioritized.
    come on, admit it......here's a link showing the debate was going on in 2007......

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Th..._F-22_999.html

and more...

http://www.abcmoney.co.uk/news/062007114595.htm

and this goes back to 2000

http://books.google.com/books?id=KDD...esult&resnum=5
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Every one of those articles show the Air Force wanting more F-22's, and the primary factor being cost in preventing them from getting them, usually brought up by those who want to spend money elsewhere. Nowhere did I see anybody saying the F-22 wasn't a superior technology. Thank you for proving my point. As I said, the argument has never been that the F-22 wasn't desired, only if it was worth the cost.

Article 1:
    Unless each air wing has such a squadron, the Air Force says, it will not be able to sustain rotations in future wars just as the Army today is having trouble sustaining rotations in Iraq. Substituting less capable fighters would make it much harder, maybe impossible, to preserve the air dominance crucial to every other facet of U.S. military success.
    Article 2
    But Air Force officials say cost notwithstanding, the Raptor is long overdue because the commonly used F-15 -- first flown in 1972, the year Don McLean's 'American Pie' was released -- is an aging relic.

Lt. Col. Mike Shower, squadron commander for the first Elmendorf Raptors, said no enemy aircraft even comes close to the F-16. But that doesn't mean the Air Force should maintain the status quo, he said.

'Our old stuff is essentially on par,' said Shower, who has piloted both the Raptor and the F-15. 'There is a significant amount of threat out there, but the F-22 absolutely dominates when we fly.'
    Last edited by DannyR; 04-08-2009 at 11:23 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So many billions of bucks, so few minds and profiteers,,,,,,,,,scary,,,,,,,,,,ain't it?!?!?!!??!?!?!!?!??!

The GOP,,,the party of fear and loathing,,,sad,,,,

Psychoblues

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Every one of those articles show the Air Force wanting more F-22's, and the primary factor being cost in preventing them from getting them, usually brought up by those who want to spend money elsewhere. Nowhere did I see anybody saying the F-22 wasn't a superior technology. Thank you for proving my point. As I said, the argument has never been that the F-22 wasn't desired, only if it was worth the cost.

Article 1:Article 2
    I didn't prove your point, I proved mine.....the Air Force does not equal 100% of the military, and the military has been fighting over whether we should build more F22s or more F35s for ten years.....my point, proven, sealed......
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I didn't prove your point, I proved mine.....the Air Force does not equal 100% of the military, and the military has been fighting over whether we should build more F22s or more F35s for ten years.....my point, proven, sealed......
    Then you proved both our points, obviously not understanding mine. The F-22 is an Air Force jet, so of course the military as a whole, if given x bucks, is making choices between it and other systems so that all services are supported. That was never my argument. In fact, I've repeatedly stated that money was always the factor.

You seemed to be saying the Air Force didn't want it despite my statements saying they did. So you agree then that the air force does in fact want the jet?
    Last edited by DannyR; 04-09-2009 at 09:53 AM.