Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey, I got a cousin that just got out. My moms gona scan and post the letters I send home to a blog.

No more pugil sticks, no more bayonets they aren't even issued anymore, no more firing of 50. cal.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2010/0...basic_031510w/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Lessons planned for basic officer and enlisted training include fighting with a rifle, employing a bayonet or knife, reacting to contact from the front, reacting to contact from the rear, pummeling for neck control, knee strikes and defense against knee strikes.
    So, lemme see if I have this right. We're going to soften physical fitness training so we don't stress the poor trainee. Instead we're going to focus more on Hand-to-hand combat for fatties.

This dog won't hunt.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LiberalNation View Post
    Hey, I got a cousin that just got out. My moms gona scan and post the letters I send home to a blog.

No more pugil sticks, no more bayonets they aren't even issued anymore, no more firing of 50. cal.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2010/0...basic_031510w/

I dont know of anyone who fired a .50 in basic.

Pugil sticks = fun. Bayonette? Worthless training anyway, IMO.

Just understand that every experience is different. Some things get scrubbed from the agenda due to adverse weather, or other conditions.

The new basic sounds pathetic in a way, for YOUR sake i hope it breaks you. Make sense?
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My cousin fired the 50. just 15 rounds on a machine gun tho so no big deal.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Sure that wasn't the 7.62? We did 50 round thru that.

Either way - pray you have a mind-screw during your time...it will make you a better Soldier.

AND - keep in mind, as i've said - what ONE person experiences is no gaurantee you'll have the same. We got to fly in Helicopters in mine. I haven't met any other Soldiers or Vets who did that in basic.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Sure that wasn't the 7.62? We did 50 round thru that.

Either way - pray you have a mind-screw during your time...it will make you a better Soldier.

AND - keep in mind, as i've said - what ONE person experiences is no gaurantee you'll have the same. We got to fly in Helicopters in mine. I haven't met any other Soldiers or Vets who did that in basic.
    My first experience on a helicopter was to get on and fly into a hot LZ. There wasn't any training for that in basic. And your dead on with what all you have said. Basic needs to be rough because combat is a whole lot rougher.

In basic we double timed everywhere. Whether it was 100 yards or five miles. And always in full combat gear, about 40 pounds of weight. We carried M14's. If you screwed up you would have DI in your face with choice names for you like stupid motherfucker, dickweed, fuckin numbnuts and other colorful names and phrases. After which you would hear drop and give me 50. Push ups in full combat gear is not easy.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They only ran twice a week in my cousins company and no battle buddies. Camel baks are replacing canteens but haven't everywhere yet. He said they worked with vietnam era equipment.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

he went to jackson, so will I. Said most of the drills had ptsd and had to be calmed down by other drills at times. They went from the battelfield to drill school to training so should no what's up.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

pics of cousins ait graduation, he is behind the female on the right to the right.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

they are switching to blues, my recruiter already has his but they are still issuing the greens till 2012.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...ges/uni180.jpg

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Today, I spend my 19th anniversary in Balad, Iraq. It's been a wild ride. (thatswhatshesaid).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Today, I spend my 19th anniversary in Balad, Iraq. It's been a wild ride. (thatswhatshesaid).
    Thanks you for your service DMP

Stay safe and come home soon

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Make that TWENTY years ago. Had I stayed in from my initial enlistment, I would have retired Saturday, 5 May 2012.

In the twenty years since-passed I feel i've lived several lives. To think about who I was at age 19, and to bring my thoughts to the various high points in my life, i dunno...Maybe I'm too young to feel nostalgic about my life, but that's where I am. Do I feel accomplished? No. No I feel I've achieved a level of success? Not really. But, each day I get up is a blessing; the steps I took back two decades ago changed my life forever.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Make that TWENTY years ago. Had I stayed in from my initial enlistment, I would have retired Saturday, 5 May 2012.

In the twenty years since-passed I feel i've lived several lives. To think about who I was at age 19, and to bring my thoughts to the various high points in my life, i dunno...Maybe I'm too young to feel nostalgic about my life, but that's where I am. Do I feel accomplished? No. No I feel I've achieved a level of success? Not really. But, each day I get up is a blessing; the steps I took back two decades ago changed my life forever.
    Ribbons and bars indicate otherwise...but I feel what you saying-- Everyday is a blessing. Enjoy!
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was wondering why this was necromanced then I realized the date on the posts.

Time flies doesn't it?