Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
I lost a large amount of my previous friends after we adopted our daughter. I was on another message point for almost 10 years, beginning when I was 15. I grew up with many of those girls, if only in cyberspace.
But after the adoption, my life (and my posts) became centered around my daughter. The others, perhaps 90 percent single and almost 100 percent childless, didn't understand why I stopped writing about music, shopping and relationship problems. They didn't want to hear about my kid. Which is why I had to leave.
It was also the end of my era of political activism. I no longer had time for speeches, protest marches and endless reading of literature. Members who go back to the previous incarnation of DP might remember a far more militant version of me.

It is different. I have a lot less time to worry about what Congress is doing or who is elected to office in Iowa or Kentucky.
Instead, my time is split between being an employee, wife and parent. I worry about keeping kids in school, tracking my husband's medical treatments and organizing piano lessons, fencing tournaments and school homework.

And it is much more fun and more rewarding than anything I have ever done.
Gabby, congratulations on knowing where your focus needs to be. The experience you gain raising your own child can only enhance the work you do with the at risk kids.