Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default On Gitmo: From Some Detainees Perspective

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...904926_pf.html

Where's the humanity?

Six detainees would rather stay at Guantanamo Bay than be returned to Algeria
    By Peter Finn
    Saturday, July 10, 2010; A03

The Obama administration would quickly send home six Algerians held at the military detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, but for one problem: The men don't want to go. Given the choice between repatriation and incarceration, the men choose Gitmo, according to their lawyers.

The administration secured a significant legal victory Thursday when a federal appeals court overturned a lower court's ruling that had barred the government from repatriating one of them. The detainee had asserted that if he is returned, the Algerian government will torture him or he will be targeted by terrorist groups who will kill him if he refuses to join.

U.S. District Judge Gladys Kessler had ruled that the claims of Farhi Saeed bin Mohammed, 49, who has been held at Guantanamo Bay for more than eight years, "are of great concern." She said the court must ensure that there is "real substance" behind any diplomatic assurances obtained by the administration that detainees repatriated to Algeria will be treated humanely.

A panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia overturned Kessler late Thursday, granting the government's emergency appeal. Much of the litigation remains under seal, but the government argues that legal precedent makes clear the executive branch's prerogative to decide where to transfer a detainee.

Mohammed's attorneys declined to comment. Human rights activists said they would appeal, possibly to the Supreme Court...

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Wow, that's just fucked up. Think for a moment just how bad it would have to be for you to go, "I know I don't have any real rights here, and I have to stay on a strict prison schedule, and I'll never breathe free air again, and all that, but uh, could you guys not send me home? That would be awesome, thanks."
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post
    Wow, that's just fucked up. Think for a moment just how bad it would have to be for you to go, "I know I don't have any real rights here, and I have to stay on a strict prison schedule, and I'll never breathe free air again, and all that, but uh, could you guys not send me home? That would be awesome, thanks."
    I'm guessing it says much about both where they are and where they came from.

So? Cut them loose and wish them luck or keep them?

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Renounce islam and you can stay.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Renounce islam and you can stay.
    No, that's absolutely shitting on what we were founded on. No, we should do worse, be completely nice and put forward our best Christian attitude about it. Find a nice neighborhood for them, with the kind of neighbors who actually form welcome parties and such. I'm convinced that suburbia is more watchful than a prison at this point.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I'm guessing it says much about both where they are and where they came from.

So? Cut them loose and wish them luck or keep them?
    Yes! Cut em loose from 20,000 ft sans parachute and wish them luck.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Gitmo whaaha? I thought they closed that during Obama's first year...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Gitmo whaaha? I thought they closed that during Obama's first year...
    How about that?
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by country View Post
    Yes! Cut em loose from 20,000 ft sans parachute and wish them luck.
    No, that's absolutely shitting on what we were founded on. No, we should do worse, be completely nice and put forward our best Christian attitude about it. Find a nice neighborhood for them, with the kind of neighbors who actually form welcome parties and such. I'm convinced that suburbia is more watchful than a prison at this point
    This way I don't need to really repeat.
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org