Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
The way I read it, Jim, she's telling you that the faulty hard drive wasn't providing complete, uncorrupted data to the backup.

So when it failed completely, and they put in the new hard drive, the backup data they had on the secondary was incomplete.

I don't work on servers, I just install & troubleshoot the network that makes them talk but I have watched the IT guys get frustrated when fighting problems like these while getting dozens of irate messages from the customer-interfacing crew.

A nice discount though!
Quote Originally Posted by BoogyMan View Post
Do you know what RAID level they are using on this server? It sounds like they are doing a simple RAID1 (mirroring), and doing it badly.
Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
That's what I was wondering too?
I made the mistake of "assuming" that they were running at least RAID 5, but it appears you guys were right in your assumptions. I asked them how they would ensure we don't have a repeat adventure and here is what I got yesterday:

Both drives are sync'd at this time so replacing the drive will not cause that issue and data will remain intact.
Sure sounds like basic mirroring to me.

I will be running an entire backup between 7pm-8pm EST tonight, so the server may be a little slow right before the downtime.