Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post

they have the glass fuse right near the AC line in. a lotta boards i replaced did not come with one.

Interesting... what brand comes with the in-line fuse? I think I'll get that next time I need to buy one.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Interesting... what brand comes with the in-line fuse? I think I'll get that next time I need to buy one.
    Most PSU's will have a fuse in them, but the majority are soldered in and can be a little harder to replace if blown. I think that stinks too as I think it's these companies trying to keep people from being informed and fixing things on their own.

Probably better off anyway. I messed around with one once and my finger touched a capacitor and man did that send a jolt throughout my body. Lotsa stored up energy in those suckers (and monitors too!)
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

all desktops. not sure about laps. also TV, stereo's etc.

the OP should check and see if its installed. if so make sure all molex connectors are seated. maybe reinsall the the old one just to confirm the problem. ask for refund or replacement

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    all desktops. not sure about laps. also TV, stereo's etc.

the OP should check and see if its installed. if so make sure all molex connectors are seated. maybe reinsall the the old one just to confirm the problem. ask for refund or replacement
    I've never seen an in-line fuse outside of the power supply case - there's only been the modular connector and straight wire to inside the unit. You and Jim have me curious to see if I'm wrong about this, I'm about to go downstairs and open up my tower to verify it!

It wouldn't be the first time something was staring me in the face and I didn't see it though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I've never seen an in-line fuse outside of the power supply case - there's only been the modular connector and straight wire to inside the unit. You and Jim have me curious to see if I'm wrong about this, I'm about to go downstairs and open up my tower to verify it!

It wouldn't be the first time something was staring me in the face and I didn't see it though.
    Nope, you're correct, the fuse I am speaking of is INSIDE the unit - hence me nearly getting electrocuted! I've never seen one on the outside either. (also, you're killing the warranty if you open them too).
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Nope, you're correct, the fuse I am speaking of is INSIDE the unit - hence me nearly getting electrocuted! I've never seen one on the outside either. (also, you're killing the warranty if you open them too).
    right. as per the photo i posted. hint: pull the plug from the wall. you'll live longer and have more babie's

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Gotcha. I never bothered breaking open the power supply unit itself... but there really should be an in-line fuse outside of that case. I'm sure that power surges blow the fuse in 99% of all failures.

But again, they'd sell a whole shitload less if they did something like that, so I understand why that isn't done.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Most PSU's will have a fuse in them, but the majority are soldered in and can be a little harder to replace if blown. I think that stinks too as I think it's these companies trying to keep people from being informed and fixing things on their own.

Probably better off anyway. I messed around with one once and my finger touched a capacitor and man did that send a jolt throughout my body. Lotsa stored up energy in those suckers (and monitors too!)
    well most are snap in's. for conveniences of service. also they don't want you in there. if you get killed then they can be liable. hence the warning labels which gets them off the hook.
    years ago they used something called a bleeder resistor to discharge caps. not any more as you found out. I used a 1.8K 2watt resisitor with a jumper wire to discharge them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Gotcha. I never bothered breaking open the power supply unit itself... but there really should be an in-line fuse outside of that case. I'm sure that power surges blow the fuse in 99% of all failures.

But again, they'd sell a whole shitload less if they did something like that, so I understand why that isn't done.
    ouside fuse could get you injured are dead. that's why they're inside