Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Abos, I'm curious about two points you made.

1. You said that Turkey is "too secular". What do you mean by that? What makes them "too secular"?

2. You stated that the treaty with Israel should not be forfeited, but should be amended (I paraphrase). How so? What changes would you/the majority of Egyptians, like to see?

Thank you in advance.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by texastom View Post
    Abos, I'm curious about two points you made.

1. You said that Turkey is "too secular". What do you mean by that? What makes them "too secular"?

2. You stated that the treaty with Israel should not be forfeited, but should be amended (I paraphrase). How so? What changes would you/the majority of Egyptians, like to see?

Thank you in advance.
    about the first point i didnt mean anything, you can consider it just secular or "too secular" doesnt make any difference, i was just making an example of a secular and strict islamic countries.

about the treaty, i can only speak about myself although i think many egyptians will agree with me, but what i would like to see, is removing any restraint from the treaty on the egyptian troops in sinai, its our land and we should be free to place our army wherever we want as long as its inside our borders.
    People show you and tell you who they are and you need to be listening and watching, not deciding that you know better.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abso View Post
    about the first point i didnt mean anything, you can consider it just secular or "too secular" doesnt make any difference, i was just making an example of a secular and strict islamic countries.

about the treaty, i can only speak about myself although i think many egyptians will agree with me, but what i would like to see, is removing any restraint from the treaty on the egyptian troops in sinai, its our land and we should be free to place our army wherever we want as long as its inside our borders.
    Thanks for the reply.

I would think Turkey is a great model as it prevents the country from slowly slipping into strict Islamic rule.

Your point on the treaty makes perfect sense. Back in the 80's I served in the Sinai for six months while in the US Army as part of the UN contingent. I could understand the need for a period of time after the war there needing to be restrictions, but it makes sense now that enough time has gone by that it is no longer needed.

I would venture a guess that it's the west that wants to keep that part of the treaty in place as it's probably more about securing the Suez than it is about acting as a buffer between Israel and Egypt.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The sinai is the buffer between Egypt and Israel. There is no military reason for troops to be there. Egyptians can travel through there all they want. The fact the military can't build up in there just means Israel's southern border is relatively safe. It was part of the peace agreement. Israel could have kept control of the entire sinai, once again they gave up land for peace.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    The sinai is the buffer between Egypt and Israel. There is no military reason for troops to be there. Egyptians can travel through there all they want. The fact the military can't build up in there just means Israel's southern border is relatively safe. It was part of the peace agreement. Israel could have kept control of the entire sinai, once again they gave up land for peace.
    once again you speak about isreal like they had the right to invade in the first place.

if we have no troops in sinai then our borders arent safe, or do you only think about the safety of the israelian borders ?
    People show you and tell you who they are and you need to be listening and watching, not deciding that you know better.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

making fun of the riots ?, is that something i am supposed to like ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

making fun of the riots ?, is that something i am supposed to like ?
    Sorry Abso, I didn't intend it or take it as an offense to Egyptians but as a making fun of Mubarak the Mubarak "supporters" and some Americans attitudes toward the situation there.

my apologies.
    Last edited by revelarts; 02-04-2011 at 08:17 AM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    Sorry Abso, I didn't intend it or take it as an offense to Egyptians but as a making fun of Mubarak the Mubarak "supporters" and some Americans attitudes toward the situation there.

my apologies.
    apology accepted, but making fun of any side right now is not something that we should pay attention to, people are dying and sleeping in the streets, its not a good time to run a comedy show on the president or anyone else.

the president supporters doesnt want him to stay in power forever, just for the next 7 months, i dont like the president, he have failed in his job, but i also dont want to crucify him for every single mistake that happened in Egypt in the last three decades, i agree with him staying in power for the next 7 months, if we made him leave the power now, none can predict what will happen, maybe the Islamic Brotherhood will take the power, its not likely to happen but its a possibility, so i want Mubarak to stay in power for now to ensure that none will take the power till the coming elections in september.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

... i dont like the president, he have failed in his job, but i also dont want to crucify him for every single mistake that happened in Egypt in the last three decades...
    What would success be for Egypt? And if he's not to blame for the last 3 decades then who/what is?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

same in Yemen and Syria

Anti-regime protests in Tunisia have ignited public demonstrations in other pockets of the Arab world. In the last week, Egyptians have taken to the streets of Cairo en masse to demand the resignation of their leader, Hosni Mubarak. Most recently, on Thursday, Yemeni protesters flooded the nation's capital city of Sana'a to call for their president, Ali Abdullah Saleh, to cede control of the government
    source

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

once again you speak about isreal like they had the right to invade in the first place.

if we have no troops in sinai then our borders arent safe, or do you only think about the safety of the israelian borders ?
    The last thing Israel wants to do is invade Egypt, Abso. You know that.

Troop buildups in the Sinai have led to bloodshed every time in the past - the wise thing to do is not create more trouble over there by injecting a threatening military presence when historically it was a precursor to an armed conflict involving all the regional players.

Besides, if anyone truly wanted to invade Egypt, right now would be the time to strike while the country is in chaos and that hasn't happened.
    Last edited by NightTrain; 02-04-2011 at 11:04 AM.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fj1200 View Post
    What would success be for Egypt? And if he's not to blame for the last 3 decades then who/what is?
    The people?

I'm dubious of "revolutions" that start 30 years AFTER a guy took power. Especially when it's in a country that, while having its problems, has been pretty much viewed by the outside worlds, as well as its own residents, as being pretty free overall (especially when considered to other countries in the area).
    "The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid." - G. K. Chesterton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fj1200 View Post
    Agree.

If the man has been in power for 30+ years, who else but his cronies and himself would be to blame for the citizenry being so upset as to engage in open revolt?

Is there another body of government that acts as a check and balance to proposed legislation, decrees, mandates and the like?
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post

same in Yemen and Syria

source
    The problem with the political cartoon is that it is making the wrong assumption about the cause of all of this. It's not Radical Islam, it's degradation in these countries whose leaders have been in power for decades and have done nothing to try and stop it. They continue to enjoy wealth and prosperity, while the standards of living of their citizenry fall. Poverty, unemployment, and starvation create and environment for rebellion and/or a ripe opportunity for those seeking power to grab it by pandering to the emotions of the people. In the ME case, it's Radical Islam.