Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    I see what you mean, and thus how 'wasting money' by SETI is a necessary evil, as it'll be easier to mintain their budget rather than doin what is actually better and having it cur now and raised later.
    The government is infamous for it. We'd go on spending sprees in Sept just to make sure our budget for the next fiscal year (FY is Oct - Oct) didn't decrease. If you make do with less, you get less next year. At every level from Congress down to the lowest recipient, someone's trying to figure a way to skim more for themselves. Reporting a surplus just screws you for the next year.

Not sure what that has to do with being alone in the universe, but there you have it.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=Gunny;490443]
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvRPgrl View Post
    I didnt ask for it. I was pointing out that the example of violence was from a time in our history that is now old. In fact, by using OLD examples proves you dont have much or anything at all in the way of NEW examples.

It only proves you are stupid, nothing else.

You proved nothing.

but it is better than what the purpose of the invaders of America circa 15th century, were stating.

You cant even reference me accurately. I said, the MAJORITY mistreated by the MINORITY.

Yet I never claimed there is any evidence, and I didnt say we should assume anything. Please PROVIDE ONE QUOTE OF MINE THAT SAYS OTHERWISE.

AGAIN, QUOTE ME WHERE I STATED ANYTHING. If I say, more likely, or history shows, does not limit other possibilities.

as I agree

according to whom?

You really ought to consider addressing individuals as individuals. I'm not reading through all this slop.

Suffice to say we disagree. Your thinking is too limited for an abstract discussion such as this one. I've run out of ways to say it, but this thread started out cool and has become something else.

Ciao.
    Your quoting is all messed up.
    I have only been asking you one question, show where I said anything, anything about limitations on possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    I see what you mean, and thus how 'wasting money' by SETI is a necessary evil, as it'll be easier to mintain their budget rather than doin what is actually better and having it cur now and raised later.
    men

I couldnt see reconciliation on your first two statements, no other choices, and ridiculously stupid, but your analogy was excellent.
    I agree now, it is stupid.
    Last edited by darin; 09-07-2011 at 08:31 AM.
    I DONT CLAIM TO KN0OW ANYTHING ABOUT HUMAN NATURE
    N
    OIR DO I KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CRITICAL THINKING

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

[QUOTE=LuvRPgrl;490453]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post

Your quoting is all messed up.
    I have only been asking you one question, show where I said anything, anything about limitations on possibilities.
    Really? I just hit reply with quote after your closing quote. Irrelevant.

Go back a page and read your own quotes. I don't play cut and paste, nor proving to you what you said. You posted a comment that basically relegated all life to the limits of human scientific knowledge. That's limiting EVERYTHING to human scientific understanding/law and leaves no room for possibilities outside its understanding.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=Gunny;490458]

Really? I just hit reply with quote after your closing quote. Irrelevant.

Go back a page and read your own quotes. I don't play cut and paste, nor proving to you what you said. You posted a comment that basically relegated all life to the limits of human scientific knowledge. That's limiting EVERYTHING to human scientific understanding/law and leaves no room for possibilities outside its understanding.
    I dont know whats showing up on your screen, but on mine, you are quoting yourself
    It wasnt me who made such a statement, I have reviewed the posts, u musta got me confusede with someone else.
    I dont think that, nor ever have, so I dont know how I culd post that
    N

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    To think our biological systems just sorta happened, is honestly just as stupid to think coffee beans, milk, vanilla beans and water, if left in their containers will magically 'given millions of years' somehow form into a delicious vanilla non-fat latte.
    It's truly amazing to me that you think the idea that there is a wizard in the sky magically creating worlds and listening to our thoughts is better.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    It's truly amazing to me that you think the idea that there is a wizard in the sky magically creating worlds and listening to our thoughts is better.
    What's even MORE amazing that you think the universe lust "happened" from nothing. There are plenty of God-hating, anti-religious threads on this board. Feel free to find one and keep that crap out of this thread that's remained relatively free of such bull$hit.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well considering the last post was two days ago and this thread appears on the edge of death, I'lll have a go at it.
    ....Your option gives us a starting point, or at the least, a transition point. That creates limitations, whereas we who bow down to a greater power have no such limitations.
    ,,,,,You are inside a box, you need a method for non living, non organic material to somehow turn itself into self replicating autonamous organic, carebon based living material.BS
    ....And that living material has to one day advance to the point that it questions its own existence & can formulate either a BS idea of a "God" or a way for something to be created out of nothing, or at the least, transform into living organic organism(s).

.....If there is a God, YOU LOSE.

If there isnt a God, YOU LOSE cuz by your own idea, the organism has to "EVOVE" too a point that it questiosns it very creation. Since its impossible to prove that evolution DID IN FACT OCCUR, not just that it COULD'VE happened, & it's impossable for it to prove there is no God.Hence, your "being" will spend its eternity wondering "if there is a God. There will be no answer, therefor, you die and go into oblivion, nothingness. As we would also. But no harm no foul for both of us.
    ......On the other hand, if it turns out you are wrong, uh oh, better watch out....better not shout, guess who's cumming to dinner, tonight.
    N

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

What's even MORE amazing that you think the universe lust "happened" from nothing. There are plenty of God-hating, anti-religious threads on this board. Feel free to find one and keep that crap out of this thread that's remained relatively free of such bull$hit.
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree which is more amazing. An all powerful, but completely abstract being for which all we have are fantasies and bed time children stories for, or science which is making progress every year.

Well considering the last post was two days ago and this thread appears on the edge of death, I'lll have a go at it.
    ....Your option gives us a starting point, or at the least, a transition point. That creates limitations, whereas we who bow down to a greater power have no such limitations.
    ,,,,,You are inside a box, you need a method for non living, non organic material to somehow turn itself into self replicating autonamous organic, carebon based living material.BS
    ....And that living material has to one day advance to the point that it questions its own existence & can formulate either a BS idea of a "God" or a way for something to be created out of nothing, or at the least, transform into living organic organism(s).

.....If there is a God, YOU LOSE.

If there isnt a God, YOU LOSE cuz by your own idea, the organism has to "EVOVE" too a point that it questiosns it very creation. Since its impossible to prove that evolution DID IN FACT OCCUR, not just that it COULD'VE happened, & it's impossable for it to prove there is no God.Hence, your "being" will spend its eternity wondering "if there is a God. There will be no answer, therefor, you die and go into oblivion, nothingness. As we would also. But no harm no foul for both of us.
    ......On the other hand, if it turns out you are wrong, uh oh, better watch out....better not shout, guess who's cumming to dinner, tonight.
    If god wants a brain dead slave that has to turn to a fear based logic of Pascal's Wager then I guess I do lose. I would hope god respects critical thinking. I would rather be in Pergatory with the Philosophers than a Heaven full of zombies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree which is more amazing. An all powerful, but completely abstract being for which all we have are fantasies and bed time children stories for, or science which is making progress every year.

If god wants a brain dead slave that has to turn to a fear based logic of Pascal's Wager then I guess I do lose. I would hope god respects critical thinking. I would rather be in Pergatory with the Philosophers than a Heaven full of zombies.
    wi

Me thinks 5 seconds of your hand meeting with my torch would surly change your mind.

You God hating people just contradict yourselfs over and over. You dont think humans being zombies is acceptable, but then when we discuss free will, you bitches can do nothing but moan and cry that God allows evil. So, which is it? If you were God, heaven forbid, what would we be, zombies or agents of free will. Dont dodge the question please.
    N

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

You God hating people just contradict yourselfs over and over. You dont think humans being zombies is acceptable, but then when we discuss free will, you bitches can do nothing but moan and cry that God allows evil. So, which is it? If you were God, heaven forbid, what would we be, zombies or agents of free will. Dont dodge the question please.
    Yes zombies are not acceptable. I do believe we have free will, even though in the future I believe we will be able to predict people's actions to a high probability. An omnibenevolent God that allows evil is a paradox which theists do not have a solution for. If I were a God then I'd want free willed people I suppose, but then I wouldn't be omnibenevolent. After all, I can boot up SimCity and play around. That makes me a God, sure, but even I can admit I wouldn't worship myself.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

We aren't agreeing to disagree about squat. Take your anti-religious message and disappear or I'll cut out your posts. This topic wasn't about religion. I get sick of every time someone tries to post anything, there's ALWAYS you anti-God nuts screwing up an otherwise perfectly good thread, deflecting your BS into it.

This thread is about trying to think beyond your own stupid little box, and YOU get an epic FAIL. I will repeat: there are plenty of God-hating, anti-religious threads. Go find one and roost. Otherwise, address the topic, not your insecurities.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

wi

Me thinks 5 seconds of your hand meeting with my torch would surly change your mind.

If you want to discuss religion, please take it wherever he goes. This thread isn't about religion.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

We aren't agreeing to disagree about squat. Take your anti-religious message and disappear or I'll cut out your posts. This topic wasn't about religion. I get sick of every time someone tries to post anything, there's ALWAYS you anti-God nuts screwing up an otherwise perfectly good thread, deflecting your BS into it.

This thread is about trying to think beyond your own stupid little box, and YOU get an epic FAIL. I will repeat: there are plenty of God-hating, anti-religious threads. Go find one and roost. Otherwise, address the topic, not your insecurities.
    Fair enough. My initial post however was in response to dmp's anti evolution post which was on the front page. I hope you don't have a double standard.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Fair enough. My initial post however was in response to dmp's anti evolution post which was on the front page. I hope you don't have a double standard.
    Anit-macro-evolution is NOT 'pro-religion'. Macro-evolution is supremely faith-based. Thinking macro-evolution is silly is simply 'pro-common sense' When I get the chance to travel through the universe in a space ship, and happen upon ANOTHER space-ship, or..a Buick...or another machine I'll rightly believe it was designed. Much the same with biology. I lack the massive amounts of blind faith and mysticism to believe all our biological systems happened magically, or by blind stupid luck.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Define evolution. You sound like one of those Darwin's Theory of Evolution types. Stupidity unbound. Evolution itself is just life adapting to its circumstances. I believe the latter. The former is ... stupid.

Either way, this thread's not about your anti-God BS. Or it wasn't. There's no double standard. I can read. I'll be more than happy to dress you down in an appropriate thread. This thread asks a question. From all appearances, I the Christian, have a FAR more open mind than you, the worshiper of junk science.