Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fj1200 View Post
    Just common decency one would hope.
    I would agree, just not as an entitlement. Compared to many businesses I have been to, this woman WAS polite towards these women. Even in logroller's very good example "I can't make your cake. You'll need to find another baker. GOOD DAY." - this would still be considered "rude" by many for not simply taking the job, or not explaining why she couldn't perform the job, or the shouting of good day! Keep in mind, if she simply couldn't make a cake, she never would have heard them out. So denying the cake AFTER hearing them out would make the response by Log to be a bit obvious. In lieu of a magical answer or to turn back time - MY opinion is that you remain truthful and true to one's beliefs. What some call rude or condescending, others call honest and forthright. That's why we have the ability to shop elsewhere if we don't like the service.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I would agree, just not as an entitlement. Compared to many businesses I have been to, this woman WAS polite towards these women. Even in logroller's very good example "I can't make your cake. You'll need to find another baker. GOOD DAY." - this would still be considered "rude" by many for not simply taking the job, or not explaining why she couldn't perform the job, or the shouting of good day! Keep in mind, if she simply couldn't make a cake, she never would have heard them out. So denying the cake AFTER hearing them out would make the response by Log to be a bit obvious. In lieu of a magical answer or to turn back time - MY opinion is that you remain truthful and true to one's beliefs. What some call rude or condescending, others call honest and forthright. That's why we have the ability to shop elsewhere if we don't like the service.
    If the baker doesn't need a reason to deny service, why give an elaborate reason, if one at all? If a reason is requested, as not to seem 'rude', just say its personal and leave it at that. Its personal, hence not privy to a professional relationship. If you had to cancel a professional meeting with someone because you had the flu, you'd say you were ill or something to that effect. You wouldn't say, oh I've got it out both ends-- why, because that would be unprofessional. I'm not saying it makes her a bad person; I'm sure she thought she was doing what is right and meant no disrespect, but she erred. It happens, everyone makes mistakes. What makes this story important is that hopefully others learn from her mistake-- that's how we self-regulate in society w/o govt getting involved.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
    If the baker doesn't need a reason to deny service, why give an elaborate reason, if one at all? If a reason is requested, as not to seem 'rude', just say its personal and leave it at that. Its personal, hence not privy to a professional relationship. If you had to cancel a professional meeting with someone because you had the flu, you'd say you were ill or something to that effect. You wouldn't say, oh I've got it out both ends-- why, because that would be unprofessional. I'm not saying it makes her a bad person; I'm sure she thought she was doing what is right and meant no disrespect, but she erred. It happens, everyone makes mistakes. What makes this story important is that hopefully others learn from her mistake-- that's how we self-regulate in society w/o govt getting involved.
    I think this is a woman working out of her house, and sounds like her explanation would have taken less than a minute, so I'm not sure I would call it "elaborate". I see this from both a personal and a business side. My business sense is telling me to make the money, and if not, at least don't burn bridges or alienate potential customers. My personal side feels that there is nothing wrong with someone speaking their feelings, especially in their own home, and when done as politely as one feels they can.

I don't think this woman was wrong at all for what she did with her personal business. I do think this woman was wrong if she expects her business to flourish.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
    she did NOT err.
    I DONT CLAIM TO KN0OW ANYTHING ABOUT HUMAN NATURE
    N
    OIR DO I KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CRITICAL THINKING

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LuvRPgrl View Post
    she did NOT err.
    I'm going to say that I don't know any of the specifics of this case. If I was a baker and someone came to me and said, "We want a wedding cake. Names are Jennifer and Rebecca." I'd just bake the cake and decorate the way they wanted. That's me.

I'm not gay. I wouldn't promote gay causes. However, I don't begrudge their right to live, love, and celebrate.

Now if instead I was of a different take, I thought God hated them and would hate anyone that didn't hate them.

I'd say, "I'm sorry, I can't bake and decorate your cake, but here is the name of someone that can." End of story. If they tried to make that into a hate crime, screw them.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LuvRPgrl View Post
    she did NOT err.
    So she meant to disrespect them. You may be right; but based off the interview, I presume she did not.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I'm going to say that I don't know any of the specifics of this case. If I was a baker and someone came to me and said, "We want a wedding cake. Names are Jennifer and Rebecca." I'd just bake the cake and decorate the way they wanted. That's me.

I'm not gay. I wouldn't promote gay causes. However, I don't begrudge their right to live, love, and celebrate.

Now if instead I was of a different take, I thought God hated them and would hate anyone that didn't hate them.

I'd say, "I'm sorry, I can't bake and decorate your cake, but here is the name of someone that can." End of story. If they tried to make that into a hate crime, screw them.
    Bingo. Although I think her decision was a poor business decision, it is her prerogative.